Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Cold weather moms, tips?

We live in a small town in North Texas. They are calling for 4-8 inches of snow plush ice/sleet tomorrow. DH probably won't be going in to work, so he'll be home to help, but how to we entertain/ keep LO warm if the power goes out. Our heat is gas, but runs on a electric thermostat, so if the electricity goes out, we have no heat. DH went to Walmart to get some flashlights, food, water, milk and picked up a propane lantern that will give off a little heat, i hope.

We have a tent, so I thought maybe we could put it up and play in it to keep warm just by staying in one small location. Am I crazy? I just am not familiar with this kind of weather, so I'm not sure what to do. Of course my level-headed mother left today, so I'm on my not-quite-sane-pg-brained own! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cold weather moms, tips?

• We live in PA and we've been getting plenty of snow.

I think we have lost power maybe once due to snow and ice.

Tonight was DD's first night playing with Crayola Color Wonder markers and she LOVED them.  That could be a way to keep her entertained with crayons and flashlights.  We read NONSTOP.  Keep socks on DD and just make sure she is dressed in the warmest pjs that you have.

I am sure it will all be fine.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We live in Boise, and it can get chilly here. I have a big plastic tub that I filled with rice and DS plays in it like a sand box. He loves it! If you do try it though, put a blanket down underneath because the rice is a pain to vacuum up
  • Loading the player...
  • I seriously doubt your power will go out. 4-8 inches is really no big deal.  We still have school if we get that much snow, thats a party around here!  Today it is -2 for the high and -34 with the wind chill (kids still are going to school at normal time).  I would get some good movies, some hot cocoa and some wood for a fire and snuggle up with my family.  Enjoy!
  • imagecampbell2178:
    I seriously doubt your power will go out. 4-8 inches is really no big deal.  We still have school if we get that much snow, thats a party around here!  Today it is -2 for the high and -34 with the wind chill (kids still are going to school at normal time).  I would get some good movies, some hot cocoa and some wood for a fire and snuggle up with my family.  Enjoy!

I don't know how much snow North Texas normally gets, but I am guessing probably not a lot. 4-8 inches is a lot for people that don't get it often- especially if they don't have the plows/resources to handle it. And, add on the drivers who aren't used to it...you may have trouble keeping your power on! :) 

Just keep some flashlights nearby just in case. Otherwise, watch some good movies snuggled up on the couch. Hope everything goes well for you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"