Baby Names

Starting to narrow down the girl list...

Girls: Ellie, Emmie, Addy or Addie, Gracie, Shelby, or any other suggestions?

Are Ellie and Emmie too similar to the super-popular Ella and Emma?  I really love Emmie and have only every known one person IRL with that name.

We really don't want a long name, but our LN is only one syl. so we would like at least 2 syls.  DD is Karly.

TIA!

K, born 05/06/10 B, born with a few surprises 07/20/11  

Re: Starting to narrow down the girl list...

• I think you should give your kids full names. "Emmie" doesn't look very good on a resume. 
  • I don't think any of them work as stand-alone names because I think it is important to give her the option of something grown-up sounding to put on her resume.   

I think Ellie should be short for Elizabeth, Emmie could be Emme and be fine.

Gracie is darling but I would put Grace on her birth certificate. 

What about Sadie? 

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry, but I really think that all of those names are too nicknamey. She really needs a name that will grow well with her.

I love Grace (with nickname Gracie).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • I am the total opposite.  I don't understand the point in giving longer names with no intention of ever calling them that.  Am I the only one that feels this way?

• imageheedy07:
    I am the total opposite.  I don't understand the point in giving longer names with no intention of ever calling them that.  Am I the only one that feels this way?

Well you may not have any intention of calling dc anything other than that, but when your daughter is a 40 year old professional she may not want be be called "Gracie" or "Addie," since you know, they sound like childhood nicknames.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageheedy07:
    I am the total opposite.  I don't understand the point in giving longer names with no intention of ever calling them that.  Am I the only one that feels this way?

No, probably you are not the only one.  But my opinion is that it is most thoughtful to give a child a name that will work in many situations, and that will grow with them.  

Karly is a full name, and Karly Mae Lastname will work just fine on a resume.

Ellie or Emmie or Gracie are all nicknamey and very sweet but young sounding names.  They would not look very professional on a resume, in my opinion.

Of course, you can do whatever you want.  But know that what you call your child is just the beginning of what their name will mean to them.  You may never call her Grace, but it is completely possible that when she grows up she will want a more grown-up name to use for resumes, work situations, etc.  Giving her the full name gives her more flexibility.

• imageheedy07:

I think if you feel that way you should give your child a name that can't be shortened, but doesn't sound like it will eternally belong on a four year old. 

• imageerinms:

Gracie is darling but I would put Grace on her birth certificate. 

What about Sadie? 

Our last name starts with an S, so I have been trying to stay away from names that start and end with an S sound.  There is just too much "sss" going on. 

I guess I have a lot to think about.  Good thing I still have 2/3 of my pregnancy left!

• OK, some shortish girly but complete names:

Wren
    Lila
    Lilla 
    Tessa
    Molly
    Celia
    Savannah
    Holly
    Chloe

Good luck!  And I really do like all of the names you listed, just would pick a longer name for reasons listed above. 
  • I like Addie and Grace. But would Addie's full name be that or Addison?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think they are all cute names until she hits puberty.
  • From you list and pp list... I love Ellie and Chloe and even Chelsea. Shelby is nms, but I think it is fine if you like it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think Ellie can be a full name.  But I would say, yes, it's too close to super-popular Ella.  I only know 1 baby Ella, but I know 5 baby Ellie's!  (full names are Ellie, Elliana, Elizabeth x2, and Ellis) and a 6th on the way (FN Ellen). 
  • Elizabeth/ Ellie was one of our top names. I also like Emelie. 

My parents named me Cindy versus Cynthia. Not quite as nicknamey as some of the others. There have been times I wished it was Cynthia- resume, wedding invitation etc.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageHannahO28:
    I think you should give your kids full names. "Emmie" doesn't look very good on a resume. 

This. They are all too cutesy. 

• imagelovemytwoboys:

I'm sorry, but I really think that all of those names are too nicknamey. She really needs a name that will grow well with her.

I love Grace (with nickname Gracie).

I totally agree with this. Picture your daughter as a 30 year old woman looking for a job. Then say "Hi, my name is Addie/Gracie..."-It doesn't sound like an adult talking.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I agree with all the "find a full name that can't be shortened (Tess, Celia, Calla, Ivy, Esm?e)" suggestions. 
    I have a name that can be shortened to a perfectly-okay-to-be-a-stand-alone-name as well and I am so thankful for it. It has been able to grow with me and change with me, and while you might not intend to call your daughter anything other than Emmie (and that's fine), she will probably appreciate the option to go by a full name when it's most appropriate, and go by a nickname with those she's close to. I feel like just because a name suits the parents, doesn't mean it'll suit the child. I just like the idea of giving a son or daughter options- because he or she won't be a child for very long so I think giving a name a little more substantial than 'Emmie' would be appreciated in the long-run. That's just my take :)

ETA: I don't mean to pick on Emmie, by the way. I do think it's a nice nickname. I think Shelby's really the only substantial name on the list (and it's by far my least favourite. Go figure) 

• I dislike Ellie for personal reasons, and I like Emmie spelled Emme, it looks a little less cutesy.
  • My name is Emmy. I've had no problems with it in adult/professional life, but I do generally get two responses when I introduce myself: "I really like that name!" followed immediately by "Is it short for something?" (Emily, Emmeline, I've even been asked if it was short for Emerald) It's no big deal to me to say "Thanks, it's just Emmy" - but keep in mind that's something your child WILL encounter if you name her Ellie, Emmie, Addie, Gracie, etc. Whether you're ok with that or not is up to you. On your popularity question, Addison was last year's #12 name and Grace was #17, so there will likely be lots of other little Addies and Gracies as well as Ellas and Emmas.
  • As others have said, these are cute but do sound like nicknames. I have a friend who calls her baby Ellie, short for Eleanor which I love. Eleanor Grace sounds lovely. Just a thought!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP 1: 3/19/10 Loss: 7/9/10
    BFP 2: 12/28/10
    My Blog: Losing Sylvia
  • imageKCKappa:
    My name is Emmy. I've had no problems with it in adult/professional life, but I do generally get two responses when I introduce myself: "I really like that name!" followed immediately by "Is it short for something?" (Emily, Emmeline, I've even been asked if it was short for Emerald) It's no big deal to me to say "Thanks, it's just Emmy" - but keep in mind that's something your child WILL encounter if you name her Ellie, Emmie, Addie, Gracie, etc. Whether you're ok with that or not is up to you. On your popularity question, Addison was last year's #12 name and Grace was #17, so there will likely be lots of other little Addies and Gracies as well as Ellas and Emmas.

I personally know 5 Addison's with 3 of those being Addison Grace's. Really popular right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"