March 2011 Moms

Snow...WWYD?

So i live in IL and as most of you have heard we are in for a blizzard.  Anywhere from 8-12 inches.  They have said the worst is suppossed to start around noon.  I am scheduled to work tomorrow from 9-5:30.  I'm a pharmacy tech at a retail chain.  So here's my problem.   I live about 20 mintues away from work and I drive a mustang.  Do I go into work and just hope I can get home?  Or do I call in, in the morning though the roads may be okay at that point?  WWYD?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Snow...WWYD?

• Hmmm.. would they let you leave in the middle of the day if it looks really bad?

If not, don't go.  It's a pretty serious storm.  (It'll hit here after it beats you down.  I'm so looking forward to the 9 degree temps on Thurs and Fri)

Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • what if you go in, and if it gets bad leave? I would do that probably
  • Loading the player...
  • Most people are going in and leaving early if that's an option for you since you live so close to work.  I think we're not supposed to get the heavier stuff until later in the day/evening.
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Send the storm to CA!
  • I live in Illinois too and personally at almost 33 weeks pregnant I would be calling in to work and not taking any chances. Good luck!
  • i would just call in.  why risk it.

....and please don't send it to us in NY :) :):)

• I may not be in your area, but I am in Illinois. Things are fine out right now for me, not even snowing at all. It should start fairly soon. I am going in to work, but I already talked to work and told them if it was bad I was leaving and several co workers have already said they are going to get me out early. I basically said I am sorry, but technically I would be endangering my baby as well.
  • If you decide to go in and it get bad but you don't feel comfortable to drive in it you have a couple options. Call a cab, those guys will drive through anything. Find a snowplow driver or tow truck driver, show them your belly and then pout and say "please can you just take me and my baby home safely?" I bet they will do it.

I would wait until tomorrow morning to make your decision. Weather can change. I would use the school transport system as your guide. If they cancel school buses or school I would cancel work. If they are still running I would go to work.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would go in. It's not your jobs fault you drive a mustang. Maybe see about carpooling or getting a ride home from.someone. I just don't think a pending storm is an excuse not to go in just because you're pregnant.
    Baby, you've got the sort of eyes that tell me tales...
    :Blog:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Guess I'll call work and see if I come in if they will let me leave early.  If they won't then I won't be going.  I am NOT getting stuck there all day!
  • I grew up in the Snow Belt of Western Ontario...if people didn't show up for work because there was a threat of snow...there would be no businesses, schools, government offices, etc. running from November through March. Heck half the time if you stay home in anticipation, it ends up not being bad anyways!

If I were you, I would suck it up and go in. You can always leave early if you need to...I doubt someone would tell you no especially considering you are A. pregnant and B. probably not the only one that would want to head out early (pregnant or not).

For me, at 35 weeks, if I was going to be stranded, I would almost rather be stranded at work than at home...I am just up the street from my midwife and the hospital at work should an emergency come up....at home I am a 25 minute drive on a good day with no snow, no traffic and no lights...but that's just me! Smile

• imageperplexed59:

If you decide to go in and it get bad but you don't feel comfortable to drive in it you have a couple options. Call a cab, those guys will drive through anything. Find a snowplow driver or tow truck driver, show them your belly and then pout and say "please can you just take me and my baby home safely?" I bet they will do it.

I would wait until tomorrow morning to make your decision. Weather can change. I would use the school transport system as your guide. If they cancel school buses or school I would cancel work. If they are still running I would go to work.

be careful with this one!  we woke up to terrible roads this morning and school didn't close!  it's been horrible. our school is on top of a hill and there were accidents all up and down, buses couldn't get up, teachers haven't even made it in yet.  it's crazy.  so def. use your own judgement if you wait:)

• I live in STL and we are just getting the beginning of the worse of this storm system. It is bad. Really bad. I wouldn't go in. Its not so much the snow, but the inch of ice that comes before it...
  • Well I went to work at 9:00 and I'm back home already.  It was sooo busy at work I can't believe how many people were out.  It was nuts!  But once it started snowing really hard I let my boss know i was taking off.  He was cool about it.  The drive home was awful!  But I'm glad to be home.  Hopefully dh will be home soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"