Single Parents

name change??

I need some help on information about how things work as far as my little boys last name... As of now the dad is not going to be involved with me so I want to give him my last name... will the dad still have to pay child support? and if at some point we do get together how difficult would it be to change his name to the dads last name... like what steps would we have to do.............. and the other question is if we end up working out before he is born and I give him the dads last name and then for some reason something goes bad how difficult would it be to change his name to mine and what steps would i need to take???

Re: name change??

• I ended up changing my boys' last names after my divorce to my last name.  I had my attorney handle it, but there was a legal notice that had to be in the paper three times in three consecutive weeks.  That part cost me a couple hundred dollars.  Then you have a court date and the judge hears any arguements against the change of name.  If there are none it will be granted and you'll have to take the court documents to get a new SSN and birth certificate amendment.  It'll take a month or two depending how busy your courts are.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Give your son your last name.  It sounds as if your child's father is not reliable and you do not want to go changing your child's last name every time he comes in/leaves the picture.  You will be the constant in his life, give him your name.

Your child's father will be liable for CS no matter what name you give your son.

• Loading the player...
  • imageLJF1218:

Give your son your last name.  It sounds as if your child's father is not reliable and you do not want to go changing your child's last name every time he comes in/leaves the picture.  You will be the constant in his life, give him your name.

Your child's father will be liable for CS no matter what name you give your son.

THIS.  I plan on giving my son my last name.  Otherwise if you give him his father's last name, it will cost you money and court time to change it to your name.  Why risk the back and forth.  You know that you will always be there for your son, so why not just give him  your last name?  If his father won't stay in the picture over a last name...then is he really someone you want in  your son's life?

• Thank you guys very much! I plan on giving him my last name... my only concern is at this point is if things end up working out how difficult will it be for it to be changed to his last name??
  • If things work out and he marries you he can sign the form on the back of the birth certificate and you send that it and it can be changed.

Yeah, it's really that easy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • oh wow that is super easy and just reassures me that I'm doing the right thing ... Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"