Washington Babies

Sanitizing the house?

We are all super sick today - K got sick Saturday night and we thought she was over it...until it all came back Sunday night.  Throwing up and diarrhea :(  Then I spent all last night throwing up....Now DH is on the couch with the chills. 

Ugh.

So, long story short...how do you sanitize your house?  I try to wipe down anything that goes in K's mouth with disinfecting wipes [Clorox Green Works type], but I'm wondering what else I should be doing.  I am not a fan of sanitizing everything every night but I will when one of us is showing signs of something.  [I should add that I already sanitize all bottles daily so that's a done deal]

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sanitizing the house?

• Last night I went to town with lysol wipes and lysol spray.  I pretty much did a mist over every room and then sprayed down toys and wiped them off. 
    imageimage Brothers! image
  • Our regimine consists of washing the sheets super hot, boiling cinamon and oregano oil, airing out the house and wiping everything with hydrogen pyroxide.
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebraveangel2:
    Our regimine consists of washing the sheets super hot, boiling cinamon and oregano oil, airing out the house and wiping everything with hydrogen pyroxide.

Thanks!  Are the cinnamon and oregano essential oils?  I get wary of too many chemicals and am trying to balance out my desire to keep chemicals out with not getting each other sick over and over again.  Sometimes my desire to be green gets cancelled out by my desire to not throw up though :) 

• Whatever you do, make sure to wipe down all doorknobs, faucet handles, toilet flush handles, etc. All of the places hands go. Refrigerator handle an the controls on the microwave too. I use florid wipe things and the cloeox everywhere spray in situations like this. I'd rather have a little chemical exposure rarely like that than hbe everyone barfing again.
  • I did this exact thing tonight (pink eye! gross!).  I used bleach and hot water, washed all of the door knobs, cabinets, handles, baby gates, and then bathed Lucy's toys in a bath of bleach water. 

I actually had to send DH to get bleach because it isn't a product we use normally. But, this time I think it is necessary.  I just tried to go through and get everything that Lucy touches regularly (dining room chairs, shelves with her toys, fireplace tile, kitchen cabinets, etc).

We also also are washing all clothes, sheets, stuffed animals, changing pad covers, etc in hot water.  I'm not normally a germaphobe/sanitizer, but this instance calls for it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We use 50/50 vinegar/water in a spray bottle and wipe down knobs, light switches, etc.  

I'm going to make an AWESOME big brother.

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageZista:
    We use 50/50 vinegar/water in a spray bottle and wipe down knobs, light switches, etc.  

I use this and good ol' hot water with dishsoap in my classroom daily on railings, doorknobs, windows, tables, etc.  I also run whatever I can through the sanitize cycle on the dishwasher a few times each week.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Doesn't sound like it applies here, but for airborne illnesses, i turn off the heat and open all the windows for about 15 minutes.  It's not long enough that it cools off much (the air does, but the furniture, walls, etc. don't, so it heats up again quickly).  You'd obviously want to do this when LO isn't there or is well-bundled, but it's good for getting fresh air in and germy air out.
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Other things not often thought of to sanitize are your credit/ debit cards. Think of how many people touch those to swipe them. Plus places in your car like the steering wheel, door handles, and keys.

Sorry you guys cant seem to overcome all the ickies.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you thank you...totally didn't think about the car and keys, and I would have spaced on door handles and light switches.  Obvious now I think about it, but totally didn't occur to me before.  Of course, now I need to start investing in hand lotion.  All this sanitizing, hand washing and cleaning is giving me man hands :)
  • imagekaskade:
    Thank you thank you...totally didn't think about the car and keys, and I would have spaced on door handles and light switches.  Obvious now I think about it, but totally didn't occur to me before.  Of course, now I need to start investing in hand lotion.  All this sanitizing, hand washing and cleaning is giving me man hands :)

Ah, the man hands.  I wash mine so much that I bought some of Bath and Body Works' lotion with hand sanitizer in it.  It saves me at work!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"