Baby Names
Options

Young Parent Age = trendy name choice?

DH has a young cousin using the name Zephyrine Lunabella.  He thinks this has more to do with her age and trying to be trendy and hip vs. thinking about how a name will affect this little girl later in life. 

Do you think that younger couples are more likely to use trendy/odd names?

Re: Young Parent Age = trendy name choice?

• Options
    If by younger you mean immature, yes. I think the less mature the person is (and that is obviously usually correlated with age) the more concerned they will be with picking trendy names.
  • Options
    I would agree with PP that it's immature people who would choose a name like that. There are plenty of young parents that are mature enough to know that trendy and unique names are not great choices.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think maturity, rather than age like pp said has more to do with it

I don't dislike Zephyrine Lunabella, I wouldn't use it, but I don't think it screams young/immature

It is also absolutely not trendy

Trendy is: Peyton, Cayden, Kaylee, Brylee, ect... I also happen to find these names sound immature, unsophisticated and uncultured, moreso than Zephyrine

The name is surely unique but not trendy, and I think unique names are a matter of taste rather than age

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagelisa5201:

I don't dislike Zephyrine Lunabella, I wouldn't use it, but I don't think it screams young/immature

Trendy is: Peyton, Cayden, Kaylee, Brylee, ect... I also happen to find these names sound immature, unsophisticated and uncultured, moreso than Zephyrine

The name is surely unique but not trendy, and I think unique names are a matter of taste rather than age

Yes All of this. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Maturity most definitely plays into name choice.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options
    imagelisa5201:

Agreed.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    not in all cases, my SIL is only 21 and she likes very traditional names
  • Options
    i'm not sure how young you mean, because everyone tells me i'm young! look at these celebrities. they aren't considered young and they named their kids the most g-d awful names i've ever seen. so no i don't necessarily agree with it. the next young mom could pick a perfectly lovely name and age would have nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    imageames17:
    imagelisa5201:

Agreed.  

I like Zephyrine, Lunabelle not so much. But they certainly aren`t trendy like Avoree. Wink

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Bump burp.

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

• Options

imageIrishBrideND:
    If by younger you mean immature, yes. I think the less mature the person is (and that is obviously usually correlated with age) the more concerned they will be with picking trendy names.

This.

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

• Options

Hmmm... interesting question!

I think it depends on what we mean by trendy. If we are looking at names that have had a major boost in the charts the past couple years--Ava, Olivia, Isabella, etc--but are by all accounts pretty standard names, I think we are likely to see these across all income brackets, education levels, etc.

There are some names that seem more likely to come from much younger parents, though. Right now I'm looking at some of the names from 16 and Pregnant.

Bentley, for example, strikes me as something that a teenager might think is awesome, but an adult might be more likely to shy away from. Ditto to Jace, Nevaeh, Aubree (spelled like this), Jordynn, Aliannah, Aleeah, Summer Jayde, Genesis Alexia, Brody, Destiny, and Rylan. Sure, you do have full-fledged adults that select these names for their children, but it does seem like they would have more appeal to the younger crowd.

That being said, there are likely tons of teenagers that pick names that really don't have that vibe. Again, going back to 16 and Pregnant--Isaac, Brooke, Liam, Blake, Carolyn, and Leah. Not all of those names are my style per se, but "I wonder how old his parents are" wouldn't cross my mind if I met a little Isaac or Blake.

• Options

Do you think that younger couples are more likely to use trendy/odd names? 

YES!

• Options

Like another poster said, Zephyrine Lunabella is strange, but it is not trendy.  We have good friends, very well educated and in their 30s, the mom works at one the premiere art institutions in the US and they named their son Zephyr.

But I do agree that teen moms are more likely to select actual trendy names/spellings.

• Options

Trendy might not have been the right word.  I guess odd or unique would be more like it for this example.

I do think that there are young couples who pick "normal" names just as there are mature couples who pick odd/trendy names.  Just wanted to get an idea if others felt that the majority of young couple do the odd/trendy thing to be cool vs thinking about the way the name will impact their child in the future. 

• Options

Considering that most of my high school freshment girls have suggested I name my baby Nevaeh if it was a girl, um, yeah. I have another way of telling if a baby has a teen parent....they have complete designer wardrobes, down to the DC or Nike shoes on their little infant feet. I'm not saying it's all, but younger parents don't seem to see the value in buying baby clothes that don't break the bank.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagesugarpumpkin716:
    i'm not sure how young you mean, because everyone tells me i'm young! look at these celebrities. they aren't considered young and they named their kids the most g-d awful names i've ever seen. so no i don't necessarily agree with it. the next young mom could pick a perfectly lovely name and age would have nothing to do with it.

SugarP, I have to say that your style of names definitely seems 'younger' than mine - which is fine.

• Options

imageIrishBrideND:

This exactly. 

• Options
    Depends on how you define young. I turned 25 the day before giving birth to DD and I don't think her name is trendy at all. I never considered trendy names. I think it's all about maturity. I agree that immature people are more likely to pick the bad trendy names.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"