Baby Names
Options

The name Aloisia (Eaglefoot)

Sorry this is public, but I am waiting for Romys next feeding and have time to kill so I will write on my phone (Sorry for no paragraphs!). If someone wants to format it fir better reading, please do! If you are lurking, please comment on how you pronounce Aloisia. :) Background: Aloisia is a German name, however it is not that popular in Germany. The correct pronounciatiom is AH-LOY-SEE-UH. My husband pronounces it more like AH-LOY-ZEE-UH. To hear it, view this link (https://www.nordicnames.de/audio/Madchen/Aloisia.mp3). 1. How often is it mispronounced (percentage)? Because A. has not yet reached the point where people read her name in print, and then say it, I am not sure how accurate this will be when she gets older. Right now I would say 40% of the time. It is often at the doctors office when it is said incorrectly. If not for the doctors office, only 25%. 2. What are the mispronunciations you've heard (please include syllable emphasis in capital letters)? ah-LOU-ees-ah, AH-Loy-sah, ah-LOW-see-uh. 3. How often is it misspelled (percentage)? 50% of the time. 4. What are the misspellings you've seen? The only one I frequently see is Aloysia. I assume it is because people are not used to see the Loy sound slept loi. That is really the only one I have came across. 5. How have you handled the mispronunciations and misspellings? Are there any easy tips for explaining the name to people who have never heard it? It certainly depends where we are and who we are. I do not correct nurses because by the time they call us back, they're gone. On the rare times doctors pronounce it wrong I correct them. I always correct people ifmthey pronounce it in other settings. The easiest way for me to explain it is to draw out each sound separately and repeat her name once or twice. As for spellings, I always correct them. If it is spelt wrong in an e-mail I do not call the person out but simply mention her so they can see the correct spelling. I truly love her name, which may be why I am so pushy about people saying it right and spelling it correctly. It is really not that big of struggle; like I said, she is still so young to encounter a wide variety of people. Please let me know if you choose this name or have any other questions :):)
Aloisia Sofia (35 weeks) 08/05/09 || Rosemarie (Romy) Elisabeth (32 weeks 6 days) 01/23/11.

Re: The name Aloisia (Eaglefoot)

• Options
    I'm so confused by this post. Is there a question or, well, whose questions were you answering?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You'll never get people to pronounce it correctly. Names that are Unique in spelling or origin will never be spelled or pronounced correctly. Name your kid whatever you like, but please get used to people staring at it, garbling it, and not ever spelling it correctly. This isn't meant to be mean, just advice. If you choose a unique name, there are consequences that you will have to accept and get over. HTH's. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageExcitedtostart:
    You'll never get people to pronounce it correctly. Names that are Unique in spelling or origin will never be spelled or pronounced correctly. Name your kid whatever you like, but please get used to people staring at it, garbling it, and not ever spelling it correctly. This isn't meant to be mean, just advice. If you choose a unique name, there are consequences that you will have to accept and get over. HTH's. 
    oh, I am not complaining. Sorry for not clarifying that. Eagle foot sent me a PM with these questions and I can not respond on my phone to her.
    Aloisia Sofia (35 weeks) 08/05/09 || Rosemarie (Romy) Elisabeth (32 weeks 6 days) 01/23/11.
  • Options
    imageExcitedtostart:
    oh, I am not complaining. Sorry for not clarifying that. Eagle foot sent me a PM with these questions and I can not respond on my phone to her.
  • Options

imageandrea922:
    I'm so confused by this post. Is there a question or, well, whose questions were you answering?

She's answering questions for an individual (eaglefoot I'm guessing).  She said that she's doing it from her phone, so she couldn't do it on a PM.

• Options
    Just wanted to say my grandfathers name was Alois, which I'm assuming is the male form of the name :)

Danica 10.22.10 | Milo 12.23.12

PicMonkey Collage3

• Options

Thanks so much for the response!

How you were able to type all of that with tiny phone buttons on a tiny phone screen, I'll never know. (I do not own a smartphone, in case you couldn't tell. Wink)

Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"