April 2011 Moms

I just need to vent. (re: expired car seats)

I was browsing Craigslist looking for car seats when I noticed two that were obviously expired. (Manufactured in 2001) I emailed the sellers trying to inform them as to why they shouldn't be sold again, giving links with statistics and crash test videos of expired car seats, things like that. I truly was just trying to be informative and helpful and I made sure that I didn't sound rude in any way.

Well I got back a rather b!tchy email from one seller telling me to leave her alone, that it was perfectly fine to sell the car seat because when she bought it from the previous owner it was already expired and it worked just fine for her.

Rather than email her back I just decided to let it go. But really, I was just trying to be polite and it really bothered me.

Was I out of line in emailing her about it?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: I just need to vent. (re: expired car seats)

• You were definitely not out of line - it sounds like you were super nice and non-judgey about it! I would have emailed too.  Good for you for saying something! 
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Not out of line at all.  You were actually doing her a favour....if she sells that seat and something terrible happens for the next baby who uses it, she would be liable.  Not smart of her.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • No I don't think you were out of line at all.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I definitely don't think you were out of line, but I do think that the seller is out of line trying to sell a car seat that she knows is expired.  I would probably go so far as to flag her listing as prohibited content, since I believe it to go against the following excerpt from the Craigslist Terms of Use.

"7. CONDUCT

You agree not to post, email, or otherwise make available Content:

a) that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory,
    libelous, invasive of another's privacy, or is harmful to minors in any way;"

I would think that selling an expired car seat would definitely fall under the description of posting or making available content that is harmful to minors.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"