February 2011 Moms

WWYD amnio to deliver early or not...

I currently have a csection planned for 39 weeks.  Today we had an ultrasound to check growth etc. Baby girl is looking good measuring about a week ahead but nothing horrible my regular OB said I'm measuring 6 weeks ahead so it was a relief that it wasn't that bad. 

The doctor said it was up to me that in his eyes nothing medically necessary to do an amnio and deliver any earlier than 37 weeks but he knows I've been having absolutely horrible episodes of Restless Leg Syndrome where I can go a week or more with only an hour a night of sleep and nothing helps.  So he said best thing of course for baby would be to stay cooking till 39 weeks but IF I chose to do the amnio at 37 weeks and her lungs were mature we could go next week or the following week whatever I wanted.  I had my last DS at 37 weeks but he actually had medically necessary issues that involved him.  So I said to the doctor I wanna be a good mommy and let her bake till 39 weeks as miserable as I am.  So he said that's good cause he'd prefer that but remember the option is on the table as my stress levels from not sleeping and being so irritable and uncomfortable due to the RLS could cause her to release meconium into the womb but that the risk of that is so slight to not stress over it.

So I'm on the fence I wanna be good mommy and let her bake but depriving myself of sleep( when I have a 3 and 4 year old at home already )for the next 3 weeks to bring home a newborn and lose more sleep just doesn't sound like the best of ideas to me.  What would you do get the amnio and deliver towards the end of 37 early 38 weeks or just brave it out till 39 weeks.  I keep thinking if I make it to 38 then 39 is so close why not go all the way but like I said I dunno how much more I can take till my sanity is compromised.

Re: WWYD amnio to deliver early or not...

• I would wait for 39 weeks, because I believe it is healthier for the baby. But I do understand where you're coming from. Having sleep problems with two little ones already cannot be easy. My opinion is that if you go early or wait it out you'll see when it's all done that waiting just a little longer wasn't really that long after all, it can just seem like it while you're in the middle of feeling not so great. I would listen to my doctor, and if he thinks it's safge to wait, then I would. Good luck either way!
  • I'd try to aim for mid-ground and revisit the situation at 38 weeks (see how you feel). Yes, you'd be so close to 39 weeks, but a weeks' more of sleep is a weeks' more of sleep!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, I'd deliver early. Do the amnio, if it comes back not ready, then tough it out. If it comes out ready, then you get to start getting a teensy bit more sleep with your baby and relief from your RLS.  I say this because with all the contractions I'm having and as physically wiped as I am from those, and also not sleeping well because of them, I can tell you how NOT sleeping is wearing on my sanity, my attitude, and my body. It's really hard.

So personally, if I were you, I'd do the amnio. From what I hear, they're not nearly as bad as they look. 

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • No they aren't bad at all I had one last time when I delivered my second ds.  It's not I'm scared or anything its just I will feel terrible if say something goes wrong that she would have to stay in nicu a little bit or something. Just cause I'd mainly be delivering to keep my sanity lol.
  • I, too, would try to wait it out.  Aren't there a lot more risks on the table than just lung maturity?  (I'm truly asking as I've never researched this.) 

I like the PP's idea of revisiting your thoughts at 38w though.  Maybe tough it out and then see if you feel the same or if you need to move forward with the amnio.

DS - June 2009
    DD - February 2011
  • I hate to say this but I had pretty bad RLS with DS during my pregnancy and then after I had him, it still took several weeks for it to go away. I would get really bad "episodes" in the middle of the night while nursing and it was sheer torture because I couldn't get up and move my legs the way I needed to.

I am guessing you have tried everything but the one thing that finally helped me quite a bit (and seems to have kept it at bay during this pregnancy) is extra supplemental calcium/magnesium. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"