August 2011 Moms
Options

What do you ladies think

about piercing your daughters ears at a young age? I don't know what the earliest is you can pierce them, but do you think it's classy or dumb? 

Re: What do you ladies think

• Options
    I'm not into it.
  • Options
    I am a fan. Had mine done at 6 months. 
    Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I know a lot of people that do it (including my sister), but for me it doesn't make sense. The baby doesn't care if her ears are pierced, so it's for the parents.

I'll let my daughter get her ears pierced as a special treat when she make her communion, but only if she asks for it. 

Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Not my thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's cute. But I got my ears pierced as an adult and I had a lot of trouble with them. After finding out I am allergic to nickel and have to wear the expensive stuff, I probably won't do it until she (if we have a girl) is old enough to help take care of them. Just to make sure she doesn't have any issues like I did., that way she can tell me if they hurt or not etc.
  • Options
    I don't have any strong feelings either way. I probably wouldn't say its classy, but I definitely wouldn't say its dumb. I think its a cultural thing for a lot of people. Many African American and Hispanic families pierce their baby girl's ears. Personally I would rather wait until she is a little older. When I got my ears pierced my dad took me out to lunch and we went just the two of us. I remember it as something special so I think it would be neat for my dad or my husband to take my daughter (if I have one, it might be a boy!) and do that when she is old enough to remember it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Options

imageTigerlilym15:
    When I got my ears pierced my dad took me out to lunch and we went just the two of us. I remember it as something special

That's really cute! 

Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    my mom pierced my ears as an infant "before you knew you had ears so it hurt less." i obvi don't remember any pain. i think it is fine either way. some moms like to wait till their daughters are older so they can have a rite of passage type of thing. i'm indifferent and dont judge people who's babies have pierced ears.
    imageimage
  • Options

Not my thing, but to each their own.  Mine was a bribe tactic when I was 8.  I was a thumb-sucker and my mom told me when I stopped I could get my ears pierced.  I stopped pretty quick after that.  I like the idea of it being something to really look forward to and to make it somewhat of a "special date" between mum and daughter.

As for the avoiding the pain thing, I don't buy it.  My lobes hurt to get pierced, but it didn't stop me from getting more done.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm not a fan. If we have a girl, she can get her ears pierced when she decides for herself it's something she wants to do. I got my ears pierced at 11 or 12. 
  • Options
    I am not for it.  What happens if I would get her ears pierced as a baby and then have her be the type not to wear earrings and not like the holes in her ears. I am going to wait until she could make the decision herself. Well that is if I end up having a girl.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm totally for it! I was bald until I was 2 years old and my mom got tired of people calling me a boy so she had mine done around 6 months. I recently went with a friend of mine who's little girl is also bald and got her little girl's done at 3 months. Her baby has them now and it has not been a problem at all (she's had them for over a month now).

Plus the good thing is that since I got mine done so early no matter how long I leave out my earrings my holes won't close up. It was really convenient when I was younger and didn't always wear earrings to not have to "re-poke" the holes every time I got a whim to wear them again. I got my second and third holes pierced as the "right of passage" thing that other girls have talked about. My mom and I got our second holes pierced together as a mother-daughter thing. It was cute.

• Options
    imagekjgilhoo:

Not my thing, but to each their own.  Mine was a bribe tactic when I was 8.  I was a thumb-sucker and my mom told me when I stopped I could get my ears pierced.  I stopped pretty quick after that.  

This. I also think it's just one more thing to take care of that could become infected, just IMO.

• Options
    If I have a girl, I'm doing it the earliest possible. I don't care what anyone else thinks.
  • Options
    I would have done it, but was afraid DD might have an allergic reaction (my skin is very sensitive - I can only do gold earrings) and I could not justify spending $80 for getting her ears pierced.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't like the look of babies with pierced ears.  I also think it is a fun thing to go do when you choose to and remember it.  My MIL though took her great niece to get her ears pierced without the mother's permission.  I have already told my husband what my feelings would be if his mom did that to any of our daughters. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    My niece just had her ears pierced at 9 months and it looks absolutely adorable!! To each his own, but there are definitely pros to getting it done that young--not just for the parents pleasure!! As someone else pointed out, the holes don't close as easily and when they are that young, they don't really pay attention so they are less likely to pull at their ears and get them dirty.
  • Options

imagekjuryfl:
    I am a fan. Had mine done at 6 months. 

Ditto this!

• Options
    I pierced DDs ears when she was 8 weeks old. I had to take documentation that she had her shots already. I knew I wanted her eas pierced and I had no problems with her having them done at that age. She barely cried, she never touched them so they never got infected. If I have another girl this time I will pierce them early again.
  • Options

I think it looks trashy.

I have no idea if my daughter will even WANT her ears pierced, and I'm not going to decide for her. When she wants them done and will take care of them, we'll make a big day out of going to get them done. 

Not to mention, I've seen a lot of them end up being uneven when the kid is done growing.

We'll also be going to a piercing studio to get them done, not somewhere that uses a gun and they won't do it to children under a certain age.  

• Options

Not a fan, wouldn't do it.  I think it looks really inappropriate on a baby.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"