HELP - Passport Question for Kids and Disney Cruise — The Bump
Atlanta Babies

HELP - Passport Question for Kids and Disney Cruise

I have seen conflicting information. Do I need to get a passport for the kids ages 2 and 4 at the time of the cruise that is a closed loop cruise departing from the  US and returning to the US?

Or is a birth certificate acceptable? Please advise. I have 2 appts tomorrow at the post office for birth certificates but I am not able to be there and therefore have to have a waiver of consent form notarized, yada yada yada. So if I can use a birth certificate this time around will be so happy.

Re: HELP - Passport Question for Kids and Disney Cruise

• Do you (as an adult) have to have one? If the answer is yes then the kids will have to as well. I don't know the answer to the adult part though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageandrea922:
    Do you (as an adult) have to have one? If the answer is yes then the kids will have to as well. I don't know the answer to the adult part though.

Yep.  I was going to suggest that you just call Disney to be 100% sure for your particular itinerary.  And this just reminded me that I need to order Sophie's passport as well in case we end up doing a cruise later this year.

• Loading the player...
  • From the state dept's website: (https://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html - click in hte little box where it says "travel by land or by sea" another box comes up with this)

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

We went in october 2009 and just used Bailey's birth certificate. Disney recommends you have passports for everyone in your party through.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh and we've been on the western criuse twice and the eastern cruise once with disney. When ever we've gotten off/on at ports they've only made everyone show their key to the world card and adults had to show photo id.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Right it is strongly recomended but not required. I will call again tomorrow to be certain.Thanks for your help!
  • we were told we had to have them for our cruise to the Bahamas.  I didn't question otherwise and they did check them before we boarded the ship.
  • My XH won't let me get a passport for the kids (he says women and children shouldn't travel out of the US without a man there to protect them Confused).  Anyway, as you can see by my siggie, I have a closed loop Disney cruise booked and the kids do not have passports.  I was told by my travel agent that you only need a birth certificate with a raised seal.  She just came back from a cruise on the same boat that we will be on and she confirmed it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards