Is it safe?.. — The Bump
Breastfeeding

Is it safe?..

Is it safe to warm a plastic bottle directly in a pan of water on the stove? This is what DF and I have been doing for a while, we have just placed the bottle in water that is about half way and turned on the stove, then take it off just before it starts to boil.

I just read something about leaching chemicals when using plastic bottles in bottle warmers when scalding milk and now feel guilty I didnt think of this sooner.

BabyFruit TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Is it safe?..

• I always warm milk by placing the bottle in a bowl of hot water on the counter.  You're not supposed to heat it on the stove or in the microwave because it can get too hot.  And like you said, heating plastics to high temps can cause leaching of chemicals.  I haven't heard of that particularly with bottle warmers, but if it's set too high, I could see that being a problem.  http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html 

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • That's how we do it. We don't let it get to a boil... normally heat the water then turn off the burner and put the bottle in the pan. We do sometimes put it in with the burner on if we're in a hurry. Then swirl the milk so the temperature is even throughout.
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards