Austin Babies

it got published!

Thanks so much to those that helped me get my letter to the editor just right.  Especially you, rssn!  :)
the bug & bee blog
(read it. you know you want to.)
anderson . september 2008
vivian . february 2010
mabel . august 2012
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: it got published!

• i want to see! what's the link?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ditto pp! Link por favor :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Yay!!  It was a great letter - glad you submitted!!
  • Hmm.  There is, but it has my full name and location.  :(  I'll probably AW it on FB later on.  For now, here's a c&p of the letter:

Editor:

As a mother of two young children who has done extensiveresearch on car seat safety, I was troubled by the dangerously misleadinginformation presented in your Sunday, January 23, 2011 article ?Tips availableto assure safe child transportation.? The article stated that ?A forward-facing child safety seat in the backseat is required when the child is at least 1 year old but less than 4 yearsold and weighs at least 20 pounds but less than 40 pounds.?  False!  While it?s true that a child can legally be turned forward facingonce they meet the minimum requirements of 1 year and 20 pounds, there?sabsolutely no requirement to doso.  In fact, there are tremendousbenefits in not turning your child atone year.

Research has found toddlers to be five times safer in rear-facing car seats until their secondbirthday, according to a 2008 American Academy of Pediatrics article. Thearticle states,  ?Toddlers shouldremain rear-facing in a convertible car seat until they have reached the maximum heightand weight recommended for the model, or at least the age of 2.? Knowingthat motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death in children, it?simportant for parents to know that one simple precaution?keeping their toddlerrear facing as long as possible?can increase their child?s chance of survivinga crash by 75% (Henary B, et al. Inj Prev.2007;13:398-402).

Sincerely,

mlf625 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Good for you! So glad you spoke up!
  • You are such a smart mama.  I am so proud.  Good girl!
  • w00t! A published writer!! Way to go!!
    Dear Bump: You suck.
  • How exciting! Great job!
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

• YAY!  That's so awesome!
  • Sweet! Good job!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Faaaaancy!  See, you've only been there a few months and already you're a star!!  But serously, nice work, mama. ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Kennedy Clover 7.14.08, Atalie Ryan 1.25.10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"