May 2011 Moms

BF class? When should I attend?

My sister just had a baby and is breastfeeding and has been very successful but says she regrets not taking a BF class. The hospital where I will deliver offers them on many dates so my question is, if I am going to attend a breastfeeding class how close to my due date should I sign up? I would think it would be best to have the info fresh on my mind but am afraid of cutting it too close to my EDD which is May 31st btw. TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BF class? When should I attend?

• I am taking one during the middle of April.  I wanted it to be fresh in my mind as well.  I will be 35 weeks then, so I think I should be good.

• My hospital offers them once a month. I'm taking mine the last Wednesday in March because the next one would be offered the last Wednesday in April and I was afraid that was counting it too close. I'm not thrilled about the timing but what are you going to do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • When I scheduled all my classes they only had them until March, no April schedule yet. We scheduled our class for the end of March and LO is due mid-May. April is going to be a busy month for us anyway and since it was only offered once a month for us as well the April one probably would have been too close. Our hospital recommends getting all classes done by 4-6 weeks before your EDD and the timing of our class works with that timeframe.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary
  • I'm due May 28th and I'm taking a BFing class on March 16th.  I asked my OB when to take it and she recommended during your 7th month.  I'll be almost 30 weeks.
  • Thank you everyone for all of your input! 
  • I'm going at the end of March - due May 11th.  At the class I'll be 33 weeks.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • For DD, I took a class at 35 wks - it was perfect timing as things were still fresh in my mind (DD was born at 38 wks), There is a lot going on at the end (in your head)so I recommend 3-6wks before your due date.

• I think 4-8 weeks before your EDD is a good idea, therefore it is still pretty fresh, but gives you enough time to do your own research.
    Started Dating 12/7/01
    Married 6/6/09
    DS 5/11/11
    DD 9/13/13

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am trying to helpful here, not unhelpful, so please know that. The breastfeeding class would have been sooooo much more useful with the baby. I took one before birth and it just turned out to be useless because it's pretty impossible to learn how to nurse a squirming, opinionated baby through practicing with a doll. If you do really want to do one pre-birth though, my thoughts are to see if they will let you take it again once the baby is here. I think some places give you the ability to come back for free, or discounts on lactation consultant sessions after, which is great.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you want post-baby support, I'd find a La Leche League meeting. I have actually tracked mine down.

I'm doing the hospital class at the end of March. They tack it on the end of the birth/newborn classes. If I wanted, I could go again - the BF class is free and not registered.

• imageBabyBebe1:
    I am trying to helpful here, not unhelpful, so please know that. The breastfeeding class would have been sooooo much more useful with the baby. I took one before birth and it just turned out to be useless because it's pretty impossible to learn how to nurse a squirming, opinionated baby through practicing with a doll. If you do really want to do one pre-birth though, my thoughts are to see if they will let you take it again once the baby is here. I think some places give you the ability to come back for free, or discounts on lactation consultant sessions after, which is great.

This and tokenhoser's advice.

I didn't do a class with DS, but my hospital sent a lactation consultant to my room as soon as I was settled in and again the next day.  I joined LLLI as soon as I could leave the house on my own (with DS).

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Mine is in april.
  • We are signed up to take the class at the end of March (28th I think).  My sister took it and she said she was glad she did, not so much for herself but she said it really got her DH on board and understanding it a bit more.  My DH is def. on board but any pointers we can get will be welcomed!
  • I'm due May 23, and my BF class is mid-April.  My hospital does them only once a month, and the lady I spoke with says that they like to have pregnant women attend the classes about a month before their due date so that the information is fresher in your brain.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"