Breastfeeding

New or Used

I am struggling with whether to buy a new or used dual pump.  I have a single pump from DS1 but will be returning to work with DC2 so I know I will need a dual.  DH would like me to get a used one and just buy new parts (tubes, bottles, etc.) but in doing that I am looking at $150 for a newer Medela (I don't want anything more than a few years old) plus another $40 in replacement parts.  I can buy a new Medela for $250 right now at Target or on Ebay for $225. DH is not helping me decide what to do so opinions wanted please!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New or Used

• New, especially for Medelas which are an open system.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • unless it is a hospital grade pump (which considering the prices you are talking, i doubt it is) i would buy new.  pumps that can be purchased in stores like target are usually considered one person use only because they are open systems.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• Loading the player...
  • I got a used breast pump and couldn't be happier with it.   It's a Medela pis.  However, NO professional will recommend a used pump - and like PP said, especially if it's an "open system" which Medela are.  I did read recently that the Ameda and Hygeia brands are both closed systems, so if you look for a used one, look for one of those.  
  • I am happy with my used freestyle but it was given to me by my cousin who is the only person to have used it and I know she is clean.  I wouldn't feel comfortable buying one off someone I did not know & trust.  Also, medela pumps are only at their best for a year or so, so if you buy a used one that is close to the end of it's life you may still have to buy another and that could end up costing you just as much as new and probably even more.  I would only do the used option if it were both someone I knew was clean and was SUPER cheap because that would really suck to replace a pump you paid over 100 for after a few months.
  • Used is fine if you replace everything and just use the motor portion. I frequently see them on CL for as low as $50. The accessory pack is $25 plus $10 for new tubing  and you're still under $100. If you do go new, BRU has a 15% off coupon this month--so it would be cheaper there than Target's sale.
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I've been told by several LCs if you know the person VERY well and that the pump has hardly been used, then it might be ok.

I did have a used pump in the beginning. For the first month I used it and my supply was in the crapper. I couldn't get DS to latch, so pumping was the means with which I fed him. After taking the crappy pump to an LC she said it had been used too much and the motor was wearing out.

I said screw it, took my 20% off coupon to BRU and bought a brand new Medela PISA. It was worth every cent to buy a new pump. If you look online through Amazon or Buy Buy Baby you can usually find a Medela PISA closer to $200. If you're going to spend $150 on a used, it's better to just buy a brand new one for a little more.

Just remember you can make any pump "hands free." I cut slits into old sports bras to pump hands free for nearly a year. Or you can buy the special hands free bras at various stores. So if you were wanting to go cheaper than the Freestyle, it's still possible to pump hands free.

ETA: The hospital I delivered in gave me a whole new part set. I got new horns, connectors, tubing, valves, extra membranes, etc. when I delivered DS. The hospital you deliver at may give you all of that, so it's a money saver if needed.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"