Toddlers: 24 Months+

Potty Training: Ready to run away

Advice wanted:

DD has shown minimal interest in PT'ing.  I'm a big "wait until their ready" kinda gal.  She is starting preschool in a week and will be a room for kids who are not potty trained.  She will be 2.5 next month.

Here is where we are at:  She tells us prior to peeing/pooping in her diaper.  She takes her diaper off after she goes and tries to put it back on prior to needing to go potty.  She can verbally communicate that she needs to go potty.  She has the motor skills to put her clothes on and off.  She hates sitting in a wet diaper. 

HOWEVER, she will not sit on the potty.  She cries when she see's it.  We've tried the potty seat, let her pick out a potty, let her decorate the potty, bribed her, tried a reward system, let the potty hang out for months to help acclimate her to the potty, bought a potty training doll and showed her how it works, you name it, we've tried it.  I took a month long break from the effort to give us both time to relax.  This am, I tried the "Party Potty".  Fast forward to 2 hours and 20 minutes of DD being naked, drinking gallons of water and even gave her some of my lemonade and she refused to pee.  Literally was sobbing for a diaper by the end.  She finally sat on a blanket when I went out of the room and peed on it.  

WWYD?

I'm totally over it.  I feel terrible that she is so upset, but I also feel like this "fear" is her only hurdle.  She's peed twice in 6 months on the potty and cried both times (months ago).  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Potty Training: Ready to run away

• Well...since you are a self-professed "wait until their ready kinda gal", I'd probably wait until she's ready, which it sounds like she is not!  You definitely do not want her feeling scared and traumitized by the whole potty thing, or you'll never get anywhere! I'd just take it slow, take her to the potty when/if she asks.  Ask her several times a day if she wants to go.  Put a little potty in the bathroom and let her go with you every time you go, etc.

She will get it eventually.  My dd is several months older than yours and although she is peeing in the potty at least 1/2 the time, we're still going slow, still using pullups.  I'm not stressing about it.

• Put her back in diaper. I had this happen with my one twin when I first tried to do the 3dpt about 6 months ago and she just would not sit on the potty. She would be crying running in a circle around the potty because she had to go so bad, but would not sit on it. After 2 days of this, I put them back in diapers and decided to try again in 3 months or so. About 2 months later they started tearing off their diapers all day long. So I brought out the potty and sat it in the family room and to my surprise, she just ran up and sat on it when she needed to pee and went.

If she is that stressed about it, then put her back in diapers. She is still young, average potty training age is 3 years old. Remember, you can lead a child to the potty, but you cannot make them sit on it and pee.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"