Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Switching from Similac sensitive to advance..need advice

I started LO on Similac advanced and the nurse at the Dr suggested I try the Sensitve when I called about her being gassy.  While she's been on the Similac advanced and is still gassy but seems to be eating more.  When I took her to the pedi for her 1 month appt he mentioned that I probably didn't need to switch her and she would of done fine on the Similac Advance.

Now I'm curious to try the Advance again now that she's a little older to see if it keeps her full longer.  Is switching b/w formulas really bad for them?  I'm nervous to try b/c if for some reason I have to switch her back I don't want to mess things up.

Can I try it for a day too see if I notice a difference? or do you have to stick with it longer to notice change?

Re: Switching from Similac sensitive to advance..need advice

• Options
    Hmmmmm we are using Advanced and are going to switch to Sensitive!?  Does the Sensitive not keep your LO full as long as Advanced?  To do the switch I was going to mix half and half and slowly ween out the Advanced!  GL
    imageimage
  • Options

Honestly, if she's doing well on the Similac Sensitive then I would just keep her on that. I highly doubt that the Advance is going to keep her full longer.

If you are going to do it, I was always told that when changing formulas to mix the new formula you're changing to with the one they are currently on. Like do half sensitive and half advance to get her used to it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's not bad to do...I had to try 4 different formulas for DD before we found the right one for her (Similac Sensitive, LOL). My pedi said you don't have to wean, but I did when going from Alimentum to Similac Sensitive, since I was adding in more lactose. (When I went from Enfamil to Alimentum, I did it cold turkey b/c we figured she was lactose intolerant, so it was better just to do it all at once). When I weaned her, I did one day of mixing 1/4 new formula to 3/4 old...next day 1/2 and 1/2, then next day 3/4 to 1/4, etc. My pedi said to give it about 2-3 days before deciding if it made her better or worse.
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

My Pedi told us that it usually takes a few days to really tell a difference in formula...he also told us if it makes you feel better to mix the 2 formulas you can but switching from similac to similac or enfamil to enfamil is usually okay to do all at once without any problems.

But I agree with pp...switching to advanced probably won't keep LO fuller longer, but it's worth a shot if you think it might help!

GL

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I actually just did this very thing...no major change in LO, other than MORE poopy diapers!  We had him on Similac Sensitive because he seemed gassy & spit up a lot on Enfamil Newborn (which he got in the hospital), but nothing really change when we switched, so we switched to Similac Advance (mostly because we had more free sample cans).  We didn't do half & half or anything, and so far, so good! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"