Breastfeeding

Is anyone else only pumping?

I realize right now it's still early but as it stands so far baby refuses to latch. After seeing 2 LC both have said that he's just having a hard time. He had a really swollen head (and it's still pretty bad)  and they were telling me thats could be the cause. He just chews instead of latching, and that's even if he lets met get the nipple in his mouth. Half the time he just pushes it away or moves his head or just gets mad alltogether. And everyday it's getting worse because as everyone knows its much easier to get milk from the bottle.

We started pumping because I really want him to have breastmilk, but sadly even with that I am still having to supplement formula. I pump every 3 hours, and have only missed a few sessions due to sleep when we first got home.
I can pump anywhere from 10ml to up to 70MLs now. It's really hit or miss, and is very frustrating.

I find that using a hot compress before I pump really helps, but it's still completely random on how much I am getting with each session. I message while I am pumping now too, and that also seems to help alot.

We try to latch him on depending on his temperament,  but honestly at this point I am so worried that if we choose to just pump if I can keep up the milk. Everyday he eats more and I don't get that much more milk everyday so far.

TIA if anyone has any advice to offer. I am just getting very frustrated, I want the best for alex.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By lilenatalem at 2012-01-28 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is anyone else only pumping?

• I had latch/chewing probs in the hospital too, and have EP'd since I got home. LO is now 4 weeks and its going great. I use a Medela PISA, and pumped religiously every 3 hours round the clock for the first 3 weeks on as high a setting as I could (just recently I've started skipping the 3am now that LO is sleeping longer at night and I can finally get a little rest too). I drink as much as I can throughout the day and try to remember to eat, and my supply quickly went up within a few days to 2-3 oz per breast per session, occasionally a little more. LO is only eating about half that, so I've built a great freezer stash and have 3-4 days worth of milk in the fridge at any time.

EPing resource blog: http://pumpingmoms.blogspot.com We want you to contribute your story!
  • I had a hard time keeping up at first also. Keep pumping every 2-3hrs, try to pump for a few min after the milk stops to signal your body to make more. The first few weeks are sooo tough, but hang in there, it gets so much easier. If your so/dh can help, I pumped while DH fed overnight which really helped me get as much sleep as possible and made pumping all night a little more doable. GL momma!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • First thing, your LO is 6 days old.  Your supply is still fluctuating a lot, so sometimes you are going to get more than other times.  Secondly, you should be pumping every 2-3hrs religiously like PP said.  I agree with PP, my DH would feed overnight while I pumped and it made things a lot easier.  You are going to feel like you are attached to your pump, but hang in there!  I would continue the warm compresses and do lots of breast massage & compressions while you are pumping to empty yourself.  It gets easier, I promise.  I've been EPing for 7 months and there have been struggles, but I can promise you it gets easier :)
    Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • I did it my first 3 weeks and it gets so much better. I could barely keep up at first too--it would completely stress me out if DD wanted to eat early. Are you doing compressions as well as massage? Compressions really help me get more out of each pumping session. I post this video https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html every chance I get because I found it so helpful. If in a week or so you're still barely keeping up, try some fenugreek or power pumping sessions. Just remember, if you have to supplement with formula every now and then you're still doing the best thing for DS!

Good luck!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"