Baby Showers

s/o poll: What do you consider crazy expensive?

I am dying of curiosity about what we all consider crazy expensive when it comes to registry items, given the range of responses to the post below.

I consider a Stokke stroller to be crazy expensive.  There are other strollers like Uppa Baby that I consider expensive, but not crazy expensive.  So just for perspective what do you consider crazy expensive?

TTC since 8/2004
Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: s/o poll: What do you consider crazy expensive?

• i have a Storkke and it was 1,100  it was a joint gift from my bunko group. i yes i think it was expensive for a stroller, but i'm of the "if you dont ask you wont get" mind set. i knew the people attending my shower wouldnt blink at something like that on a registery.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickersimageimageimage
  • Holy begeezes! $1,100 for a stroller! Wow...that's a lot lol...the most expensive thing we have on our registry is maybe $200 haha, and to me that is a pretty expensive gift...but then again most of the people coming to my shower are just out of college so we are plum broke...
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • I think over $500 is crazy expensive for a single stroller....not sure what I would consider crazy for a double.

When I had DS, I got a Bumbleride Flyer...I think I paid 300 and I got quite a few you are paying how much for a stroller comments.     But most people I know get either a Graco or Chicco travel system so they thought I was nuts for getting a stroller and plus an infant seat instead of just getting a travel system.    

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For me crazy expensive for a stroller would be 300, for a stroller/car seat set than I would say over 500 is waaay up there lol. If our income was more I would probably have a higher number on there, but as it is, 500 is currently outrageous Stick out tongue I put a couple large items on my registy, you never know who might wanna go in on something together!
  • We got a BJ City Select, but we considered it the highest we would go @ $500 (and we didn't want to spend more than $300). I think it is expensive for a single but it turns into a double for about another $120. Since we want another right away & dh is a quality nut, we decided it was worth the extra. We get the eyebrows raised from all out friends as well. They all have/had the standard travel systems.
  • It's interesting that people say registering for crazy expensive is o.k. because people may want to go in on a gift together.

My take on that, though, is that if a group of people want to go in at (lets say) $50 a piece, I'd rather 6 people go in on a $300 stroller instead of 20 going in on a $1000 stroller.

Budgets are still budgets and there was a lot of other stuff we needed that I would rather have had people help us get vs one insanely priced item.  It being crazy expensive isn't going to make people spend more, it's just going to pull more people's $$ to that one item instead of spreading it out.

I realize that in some circles and some regions (NYC - EVERYWHERE you turn, everyone is using the super expensive strollers.  Obviously it's more the norm there), so I really try not to judge it.  But just in my world, I just could never justify spending that kind of money on one item or looking to my friends to buy it either.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I don't know...I mean $1100 for a stroller is expensive, but I would have spent it if I really liked the stroller. DH liked the Orbit, which was $1200, but I just didn't care for it so we didn't get it.

I do know someone who bought a CRIB BUMPER that cost $900. That's definitely crazy to me. I also don't think I'll be spending on a Stokke Trip Trap high chair, NMS and just not worth it, but I'll probably go in with someone else to buy one for a girlfriend.

• We had the baby jogger city select which was 500 on our registry.  My parents and ILs got it for us as a joint gift and got it on a big sale for 320 though.  I have no problem with expensive items on a registry as long as there are lots of other options that are in all other price ranges and less expensive.  When I see something that expensive on there I assume that either they may get it as a group gift, or the couple plans on purchasing themselves and wants the completion discount.
    Dx with PCOS and IR June 2009
    After two losses, third time was a charm.
    pm me for blog link
  • I think the most expensive gift on my registry was my breast pump and that was over $250. That was pretty much the only expensive thing on my registry. We got a Graco double stroller and it only cost about $170, but my grandma insisted on buying it before the baby shower.

I made sure I had a wide variety (price wise) on my registry. Everything from $1 to the breast pump.

• I consider our UBV crazy expensive, but I am very glad we own one! :)  Our crib was almost $600 - something I also consider crazy expensive, since I can get one that is JPMA just as safe for $150.  However, that $150 crib was made in China, and I am not comfortable with that. (yeah, I know, UBV is made in China too)

For a shower gift, anything over $100 is expensive to me. For something I'm buying myself, I'll weigh the options and figure out what I think is important. (See stroller and crib)

Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
  • I haven't set up our baby registry yet so I don't have a solid idea of possible prices (those stroller brand names mean nothing to me) but I know I felt guilty putting a $250 item on our wedding registry. That was the most expensive thing by far. And then someone bought it.

Since assorted immediate family has already offered to buy the largest items, I can't imagine we'll go over $200 for anything this time either. But we also just don't buy expensive things in general, in part because we're not in a part of the country where you come across them, so it's just not on the radar.

• I think both strollers OP mentioned are expensive.
  • We registered for 3 things I thought were "crazy expensive":

Breast Pump: $279 

Convertible Car Seat: $250

Stroller (Phil& Ted): $429

I didn't really expect anyone to get any of those things, we added them more for the completion discount and so we remembered which ones we liked while scouring Craigslist.

Everything else was under $100, vast majority under $40, which I think is more reasonable most people for a baby shower.

• my philosophy for our registry is if it isn't something i would spend the money on out of pocket if i don't get it at my shower, I won't register and expect other people to buy it.
  • I would register based on wedding gifts. We had multiple $500+ wedding gifts. We had nothing on our baby registry over $200... The same people who had given us very large wedding gifts ended up purchasing large baby gifts, even though we didn't register for any. A few different friends bought us multiple $100+ items, two different friends bought designer baby bags. In hindsight, I should've put a few higher priced items. $1,000+ is more than any one person spent on baby gifts for us. But it might not be for everyone. People will spend what they're going to spend, regardless of what you register for.

• The jogger strollers, like the BOB ($300-$400 range), are too expensive for me to put on my registry. If we want it that badly, we'll buy it ourselves, but like a PP said, there are too many necessities for me to put pricey luxuries on there.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• For the record the most expensive item on our registry is the $239 BJCM we want, because while we could spend more on a stroller I am just not interested in spending our money that way or asking anyone else to either.  Anything over $300 would go on our registry after the shower just so we could get the completion discount on it.

That said the BJCM is not what I consider expensive or even crazy expensive by any means.  What I really wanted to see was the difference between what we all consider crazy expensive because of the reactions to the term "crazy expensive" in the post below.  I had a feeling what I imagine being crazy expensive someone else would consider doable and what someone else considered crazy expensive another person would consider inexpensive or very affordable.

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
  • My basic idea of crazy expensive would vary based on the item. Ie, can it be passed down? Will the baby use it for more than a year? Things like that. I tend to amortize. But I'd call anything over $1,000 crazy expensive regardless.
  • imagekxp004:
    Holy begeezes! $1,100 for a stroller! Wow...that's a lot lol...the most expensive thing we have on our registry is maybe $200 haha, and to me that is a pretty expensive gift...but then again most of the people coming to my shower are just out of college so we are plum broke...

This.  The most expensive items were a jogging stroller from Target - $165 - and our crib - $180.  We are right down the middle of middle class and we registered as if we were going to buy everything ourselves.  Mostly in my fam we don't go in on gifts together, and the two big ones were bought by my grandparents and parents.  Then they got us other little gifts too. 

It's pretty standard in our circles to give a gift of $50-$100 to family and $35-$50 to friends. 

• I don't have an answer for it...and I think it would depend on the item.  $900 for a crib bumper is insane, but I don't think $900 for a stroller that you would use every day for the next 4 years is, you know?

Re: registries, we had quite a few $200+ items (stroller, car seat, pump, etc) and some $100+ items (monitor, p&p, etc) but there was nothing on there that we did not plan on purchasing ourselves.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageak1234:

I don't have an answer for it...and I think it would depend on the item.  $900 for a crib bumper is insane, but I don't think $900 for a stroller that you would use every day for the next 4 years is, you know?

Re: registries, we had quite a few $200+ items (stroller, car seat, pump, etc) and some $100+ items (monitor, p&p, etc) but there was nothing on there that we did not plan on purchasing ourselves.

Exactly! On both of your points...

We only registered for a couple of things over $200: breast pump, video monitor, carseat.

We bought other things ourselves Uppababy stroller, Stanley crib, Kate Spade diaper bag. None of these were offered at our registry places.

• i think it's all relative. and a lot depends on the means you have, and your circle of friends/family. personally, i don't think $1,000 is too much to spend on a great stroller you'll get lots of use out of. but to each their own.
  • Anything over $100 is crazy expensive. But, I'll still throw a few of those items on the registry, as I know our parents will spend more than $100 for their first grandchild. I would never in a million years expect a friend to drop $100 because I decided to have a baby, unless they went in on the gift with a bunch of other people.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"