Attachment Parenting

NAPR: Inexpensive New Baby Gifts

3 of my friends/family out of town have had babies this month and I want to send gifts.  We just had a major budget set-back so I'd like to keep the gifts & mailing under $30 each.  Only 1 registered but only for the big ticket items so my options are wide open.  I'm willing to go the homemade/semi-homemade route, but have few sewing skills so a lot of great baby items are out :-(   Any great or favorite ideas you've seen, given or received?  

TIA!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NAPR: Inexpensive New Baby Gifts

• If they're cloth diapering, $20 would get you pretty much any diaper. :) If not, what about buying something you couldn't have lived without when LO was a newborn (the Itzbeen timer, SwaddlePod, Mother's Milk tea, whatever), wrap it up pretty and send with a note telling why you thought they would enjoy it. Or, if they're BFing, a BF care package (lanolin, Mother's Milk, a set of nice nursing pads, whatever).
  • You can buy cute knitted newborn outfits from Etsy.  I would have loved if someone gave me one for newborn pictures.

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Loading the player...
  • Great ideas ladies!  I think I was so overwhelmed with everything as a first time mom, I don't remember much of what I loved, except the swaddle blanket of course!  
  • If you have a sewing machine, a friend made extremely easy, affordable, adorable burp cloths for me.  She used these and then bought fabric and sewed it to the middle.  Like these (which even show you how).  I loved them! You can even get iron on letters and patches for a cute and easy idea.  Good Luck!
    my love, my life, my girls...

image image
  • My favorites were/are:

SwaddleMe blankets - they are about $10 each, so you could get both a cotton and a fleece one.

Aiden & Anais Swaddling blankets - about $25? for 3 or 4 of them, or you can get them individually.  The ones from Target don't seem as high quality.

The FP Seahorse - it's a huge craze right now and lots of moms swear by it - it's less than $15.  It doesn't help DS sleep, but he does enjoy looking at it and snuggling with it.

Sophie the Giraffe - teething toy.  We don't have her, but again, everyone is nuts about the thing.  

Socks that actually stay on (can't think of the really good brand right now.  It starts with an N.)

BabyLegs - always cute and helps makes diaper changes a snap!

Plain old Sleep'N'Plays - I prefer the zippers since they are faster.  I also like the ones with animals or whatever on the feet.  Sounds silly, I know, but DS LOVES to look at and play with his feet when there's a frog or a puppy attached!  Otherwise he doesn't care.  I got mostly cute outfits, but almost no sleepers, and I usually don't get DS fully dressed unless we're going somewhere.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Sophie the Giraffe my DS has one and it's the only toy that he still loves just as much when we first got it when he was only 3 months. Go to granolababies.com they sell it for 2 dollars less than BRU so it's 19.99. Plus they do free shipping and free gift wrapping and it's so cute! Eco friendly unique wrapping. Sorry I love that store!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with what others have said.  The only thing I have to add is that my favorite homemade gifts were large fluffy hooded towels. 

A friend's wife took a fluffy full size towel and attached along the middle of the side a washcloth folded with one side sewn to form a hood.  I love it.  So much softer and easier to hold and dry DS than the tiny thin commercially available baby towels.  They will easily last through the toddler years.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oooh, I like the Sophie idea, we never had one but she still seems really hip and one of the few "toys" for the really wee ones.   Thanks ladies!  I'm off to scour the internet.
  • I second Sophie and the Aden & Anais blankets. DD now uses those blankets for her dolls, so we still get a lot of use out of them. I think I've given a set to at least 4 or 5 different friends who have had babies since DD was born.  

Another thing I really like to get friends as a gift is an Angel Dear lovey. You can get just about any animal. I just sent one to my doula who is expecting.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like to get people things that have been invaluable for me, but things that I didn't know about until someone else told me about it.
    NoseFrida has been our best friend this week. Everyone I know who has it loves it, but I had never heard of it until uiowachick told me about it. I bought it as a gift and wrote a long note about how much it had helped me. It's about $20, and you could also throw in a cheap board book and stick to your budget.
    Another amazing thing has been the zoli electric nail trimmer. There were a lot of tea (from both of us) in those early days of trying to trim nails. This is probably my favorite baby thing I own and my only regret is that I didn't get it sooner. I bought the Safety First electric nail trimmer too but it doesn't work nearly as well as this one.
    I think a good gift (especially one for someone without a registry) is to use your experience and give them something they don't realize they will need or that it will make their life easier.
  • www.talkingtummiez.com has great inexpensive milestone stickers.  Super cute and free shipping!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"