Breastfeeding

Dad feed LO a bottle

We just moved into a new place and we did a little drinking. I didn't want to risk it so I had a 2oz ready to feed bottle of similac from the hospital and let SO give my DS the bottle. He passed out after it. So now I am questioning my supply and how much I produce. Also I am worried about him not latching on and refusing my breast. Any reassurance or adive will help. Thank you!!

Re: Dad feed LO a bottle

• We intro'd a bottle at 4 weeks & DS never had a problem going back & forth (he actually refused a bottle for a while).

Have you pumped at all yet?  The general rule is every time you feed a bottle, you should pump to replace that feeding.  

Also, if you can drive, you can nurse.  I know that people's tolerance levels are different but I wouldn't think twice about having a couple drinks with dinner & then BFing after a reasonable amount of time (an hour or so per drink).

• I was told at my BFing class that alcohol is metabolized pretty quickly, much faster than caffeine. Our Lactation Consultant recommended feeding/pumping immediately before drinking, and unless you get intoxicated, she said there was no reason to "pump and dump." I also saw kits for testing alcohol levels in breastmilk, but never tried them.
    EPing resource blog: http://pumpingmoms.blogspot.com We want you to contribute your story!
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't worry abou either thing.  We gave a bottle at 3 weeks and never had a problem.  How many times a day does he usually nurse?  2oz might have been a little more than he normlly gets, maybe it was because he got it faster or he was just tired. Don't make yourself crazy.

If you give a bottle regularly at the same time you should pump when you miss that feeding to keep supply up.  But if you do a bottle occassionally, at random times you don't need to pump that feeding.  i don't pump when I've been drinking because I would have to dump it and it's a waste.

TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was told the same thing by my LC.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"