Special Needs
Options

Feeder seats and head support

Please tell me about your feeder seats...we have a loaned (from EI) Tumbleforms that is too big for my son to eat in but we use it as a different seat to read and play.  Right now he still uses a Fisher Price highchair which is great, he just needs more neck support so we use a towel. I just want something that will give him better support overall whiel eating. I was looking at Special Tomato products.  Does anyone have their Soft Touch Sitter?  I should note that my son is on the small side at almost 2 years old and has low tone/no real head control.

Also has anyone used a cervical collar for their child?  Or other type of head support?  Our PT tried to make him one more for use while he is playing but it doesn't fit very well.

TIA!

Re: Feeder seats and head support

• Options

oh was also wondering if anyone has used Versa Forms positioning aids.

Thanks!

• Options
    We used a Tumbleforms once during feeding therapy but it was too big for DS2.  We've also used a bumbo but when he is in that he was looking up at the ceiling a lot (feeding therapy is done at an outpatient pediatric office).  I have the FP Space Saver chair and I now bring that to feeding therapy.  I do not have experience with Special Tomato prodcuts or with cervical collars.  DS2 has CP but has ok head control.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

When DD came home last year, she had NO neck control at all. She gained it all, but has just come out of her halo, so we're kind of back right there again.  

DD does have a cervical collar which she's required to wear 24-7 since her halo just came off. Before we knew about her spinal cord issues, a PT recommended we get one for her. I didn't think that was a good idea and our physical medicine dr. agreed with me. DDs PT was very big into giving suggestions that were really restraints instead of providing solutions for mobility and progress--I think it stemmed from an overarching fear that she would somehow hurt DD. (We've since switched to someone who's not afraid . . . ). I'm not sure what a homemade cervical collar looks like... but the thought makes me a little uncomfortable. Do you have a physical medicine dr. you could consult with? or any similar specialty?

We have a tumbleform, which I'm not crazy about... I felt like it was too restraining and didn't give DD enough challenge to learn how to support her head.

Things we do like: 

-a chicco highchair that reclines... this was awesome in the beginning, because we could start with it at one angle (and add rolled blankets) and go up or down depending on how well she did. DD has a g-tube but I really try hard to feed her in her highchair which is the same as her sister's. She always eats at the same time as the family and then has extra meals in between. 

-bumbo, but place a tall thin book behind her back to offer head support. (A magazine works perfect too). Sounds funny, but def. works great. 

-maclaren bouncer. This can recline at different angles and isn't nearly as expensive as the tomato equipment (unless you're getting the tomato paid for by insurance). Tomatoes are really nice quality, though. 

-wheelchair. DD is really tiny. But our hospital loaned us a wheelchair. She doesn't ever eat there, but def. could if we wanted. It reclines and has a tray and optional X harness.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

thanks!  he can hold his head up just not consistently.  he also doesn't push up from the floor on tummy time but that also has a lot to do with the hypertonia in his arms.  he's getting there though!

thanks for your thoughts on the cervical collar.  i like to challenge him too and don't want him to rely on something.  i think our PT's idea was more to get his head up if we were holding him and playing.

i'm really digging the special tomato products.  they seem so much better than the tumbleforms.  obviously not buying it out of pocket! lol

• Options
    Could he use a bouncer, or is that too small?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"