Breastfeeding

Burping sound coming from Medela BreastShield

Hi Ladies,

I'm a new mommy fresh home from the hospital with a 4 day old and I'm having some problems with my breast pump.  I have the Medela Pump In Style advanced and was using the size 27mm breast shield in the hospital with no problem (milk came in yesterday, ya!).  I get up this morning to pump and now the shield appears to no longer fit?  Instead of maintaining constant suction it makes a burping sound almost like it's gulping air.  If i continue to pump i can actually feel air being forced back at me and even get milk spray.  So naturally i assumed since I was a little engorged that i just needed a larger size.  Sent hubby to the store he came back with two additional sizes and both are producing the same problem.  Has anyone else experienced this?  It's taking a toll on my production and I was pumping 20ml in the hospital and now barely getting 5. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Burping sound coming from Medela BreastShield

• If what you're calling a burp is what I'd call a burp, I think you needs a smaller shield.  Mine burps when it is sucking in air- instead of boob and milk.  It should be obvious to tell if the shield is not covering your breast completely.  If there is any air pocket, it will make that sound.  You'll want to get that sorted out so not to mess with your supply at this early stage.  Can you ebf while you're sorting this out?  Skin-to-skin and frequent nursing, should help you keep your supply up while sorting this out.  

The only other thing I can think of is maybe a hole in your tubing.  But that would probably make more of a hissing sound and would cause you not to have any suction from the pump to the breast.

You may want to check with a LC or with Medela.  Their phone number is: Phone: 800-435-8316  

Cindy Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ditto on smaller shield. I also changed sizes after a few days. try the 24mm (my pump came with both). If the nipples fill the tube right, there won't be room for air.

also be sure nothing us in the way of the seal - sometimes I can't see my nursing bra or tank under the edge of the cone when under my breasts, a bad seal burps too.

EPing resource blog: http://pumpingmoms.blogspot.com We want you to contribute your story!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageJDoe11111:

ditto on smaller shield. I also changed sizes after a few days. try the 24mm (my pump came with both). If the nipples fill the tube right, there won't be room for air.

also be sure nothing us in the way of the seal - sometimes I can't see my nursing bra or tank under the edge of the cone when under my breasts, a bad seal burps too.

This! I know sometimes when I do compressions to help get more milk out I'll push too hard and break suction and get the burping noise. This is quite funny/embarrasing when you're pumping at work and people can hear!! They're not quite sure what's going on! Good luck getting things sorted out and congrats on your new LO!

imageimage imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"