Preemies

Had 35 weeker/Afraid of it happening again?

Our son was born at 35 weeks. After a very normal pregnancy except contractions at 30weeks and a shot to stop them I started contracting at 35 weeks and was 1cm dilated when we got to the hospital, they watched to see if I would progress and after an hour I was 2cm. I was admitted and 10hours later our son was born. He spent a very short amount of time in the NICU, only 8 days we were very lucky. He was 6lbs 8oz and pretty big for a 35 weeker.

I know it could of been SO much worse, but I feel like the next pregnancy I'm going to be walking on egg shells afraid that I will go into labor even earlier. They don't know why I initially went into pre-term labor in the first place which adds to my anxiety. There was lots of stress during that stage in my pregnancy, as my husband was changing jobs and also it was a fairly hot summer. 

I'm just terrified of it happening again, and that they missed something like cervical problems? I did have Strep B which I've heard can also cause pre-term labor but my OB told me the baby would of had issues if the birth was caused from that. 

Can anyone relate?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Had 35 weeker/Afraid of it happening again?

• I definitely can relate to that. I got pregnant with my third DS and was terrified the entire pregnancy that it would happen again. It's definitely something that kept me on edge week by week. I can however tell you that it's very possible to have a full term after a preemie. My DS was a 32 week preemie and then the pregnancy after that one I went to 38 weeks. Don't let it stress you out too badly, even though I know that's easier said than done.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Michael, Feb 28, 2004. m/c August 2004. Christian, born at 32 wks, June 13, 2005. Benjamin, December 10, 2006. m/c June 2010. BFP July 10. EDD - 5/3/11.
  • imagectrickey03:
    I definitely can relate to that. I got pregnant with my third DS and was terrified the entire pregnancy that it would happen again. It's definitely something that kept me on edge week by week. I can however tell you that it's very possible to have a full term after a preemie. My DS was a 32 week preemie and then the pregnancy after that one I went to 38 weeks. Don't let it stress you out too badly, even though I know that's easier said than done.

Wow that's great that you went full term after a 32 weeker. Do they know why you delivered early to begin with? 

• Loading the player...
  • I could have written this nearly word for word. I'm not going to lie, right now as 34w5d approaches in this pregnancy I'm much more nervous- I had no idea I would go into PTL until my water broke at 34w5d. Like you, I have no explanation for what happened and so I feel like another preemie could be around the corner at any second.

I know logically that a full term baby is very much a possibility, but the fear is still there. Evey twitch and tingle has me on edge, like maybe it's the sign I missed last time that something was wrong. I'm forcing myself to nest earlier and deal with baby things earlier than I would because I just can't fathom having this baby in there for the long haul.

But it's worth it. DH and I agreed that if I can't carry this baby to term that we will be done (no sense in putting another baby at risk) but the statistics for this turning out well are high. We're also seeing a great OB this time around who normally only takes on high risk pregnancies but was willing to have us because I was so paranoid about something happening. She's very pro-active and she is more than willing to indulge my fears if it means that I leave every appointment feeling better.

I love my daughter and if I had to do it all again exactly to have another one just like her I'd do it in a heartbeat- the good and the bad. I will say that this pregnancy I have been a lot more careful about exposure to germs, stress, etc (the things under my control) and have accepted the help offered. Don't let PTL scare you out of another baby- find a doctor who is willing to work with you and you'll be fine.

FWIW- in 38 more days I will be the most pregnant I have ever been and I am staying positive we're going to hit that date and beyond!!!

Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My second daughter was born at 34 weeks, 6 days, so essentially 35 weeks.  I showed up at the hospital in labor and quickly dilated to an 8 so she was definitely coming early.  Carly spent 2 weeks in the NICU because of bruising from my unsuccessful VBAC.  

This time around, I started p17 shots at 16 weeks and will have FFN tests later on in my pregnancy.  

I am really hoping to avoid bedrest and have a full-term baby this time around.  

Good luck! 

Momma to 2 sweet girls here on earth and a precious baby boy in heaven
  • imageKimber314:

imagectrickey03:
    I definitely can relate to that. I got pregnant with my third DS and was terrified the entire pregnancy that it would happen again. It's definitely something that kept me on edge week by week. I can however tell you that it's very possible to have a full term after a preemie. My DS was a 32 week preemie and then the pregnancy after that one I went to 38 weeks. Don't let it stress you out too badly, even though I know that's easier said than done.

Wow that's great that you went full term after a 32 weeker. Do they know why you delivered early to begin with? 

I had polyhydraminos and IUGR with my 2nd DS. They said the weight from all the fluid from the polyhydraminos is what pushed me into labor.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Michael, Feb 28, 2004. m/c August 2004. Christian, born at 32 wks, June 13, 2005. Benjamin, December 10, 2006. m/c June 2010. BFP July 10. EDD - 5/3/11.
  • imagectrickey03:
    imageKimber314:

imagectrickey03:

I had polyhydraminos and IUGR with my 2nd DS. They said the weight from all the fluid from the polyhydraminos is what pushed me into labor.

That's interesting because they did say I had a "good amount of fluid". I believe it was 17 at my growth U/S at 34 weeks. Nothing excessive that they had to do something about, but it could of added pressure to the cervix.

• imageluvdv8:

I could have written this nearly word for word. I'm not going to lie, right now as 34w5d approaches in this pregnancy I'm much more nervous- I had no idea I would go into PTL until my water broke at 34w5d. Like you, I have no explanation for what happened and so I feel like another preemie could be around the corner at any second.

I know logically that a full term baby is very much a possibility, but the fear is still there. Evey twitch and tingle has me on edge, like maybe it's the sign I missed last time that something was wrong. I'm forcing myself to nest earlier and deal with baby things earlier than I would because I just can't fathom having this baby in there for the long haul.

But it's worth it. DH and I agreed that if I can't carry this baby to term that we will be done (no sense in putting another baby at risk) but the statistics for this turning out well are high. We're also seeing a great OB this time around who normally only takes on high risk pregnancies but was willing to have us because I was so paranoid about something happening. She's very pro-active and she is more than willing to indulge my fears if it means that I leave every appointment feeling better.

I love my daughter and if I had to do it all again exactly to have another one just like her I'd do it in a heartbeat- the good and the bad. I will say that this pregnancy I have been a lot more careful about exposure to germs, stress, etc (the things under my control) and have accepted the help offered. Don't let PTL scare you out of another baby- find a doctor who is willing to work with you and you'll be fine.

FWIW- in 38 more days I will be the most pregnant I have ever been and I am staying positive we're going to hit that date and beyond!!!

Thank you so much for writing, and congratulations on your pregnancy! I'd love to see updates on you and I'm hoping you make it to full term, sounds like you have a wonderful attitude about it :)

I'm sure next pregnancy I will be super aware of my stress level, It was really through the roof this last pregnancy. I sometimes really think that's what did me in for the PTL, but who knows. Good luck, sounds like you're doing great!

• imageKimber314:

Thank you so much for writing, and congratulations on your pregnancy! I'd love to see updates on you and I'm hoping you make it to full term, sounds like you have a wonderful attitude about it :)

I'm sure next pregnancy I will be super aware of my stress level, It was really through the roof this last pregnancy. I sometimes really think that's what did me in for the PTL, but who knows. Good luck, sounds like you're doing great!

Just make sure you keep your doctor in the loop on your plans when you decide to TTC. Find one who is going to keep a close eye on your pregnancy and is willing to go a little out of their way (extra u/s, ffn testing, early strep B test, etc.) to make you feel comfortable- stress isn't going to add any benefit.

There are plenty of women on this board who have gone on to have full term pregnancies when their first presented some serious complications. In a lot of ways not knowing what caused the PTL in the first place makes the situation harder, but at least you know if it was something very serious it would have been picked up during delivery/shortly after.

Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKimber314:

Just make sure you keep your doctor in the loop on your plans when you decide to TTC. Find one who is going to keep a close eye on your pregnancy and is willing to go a little out of their way (extra u/s, ffn testing, early strep B test, etc.) to make you feel comfortable- stress isn't going to add any benefit.

There are plenty of women on this board who have gone on to have full term pregnancies when their first presented some serious complications. In a lot of ways not knowing what caused the PTL in the first place makes the situation harder, but at least you know if it was something very serious it would have been picked up during delivery/shortly after.

• I just gave birth to a 30 weeker, he is in the NICU and they said to expect him to come home around my original due date.  I know my first isnt even home, but this is a concern I have too if we decide to have another one.  I had a placenta abruption and the doctor says it was just a fluke thing and shouldnt have any effect on any further pregancy.  Ahh!  Hopefully my son gets to come home soon though, luckily he has a pretty big boy for a 30 weeker.  He was born at 4 lbs, 3.7 oz! 
  • Yup! I was monitored for a short cervix starting at 22 weeks but cleared by 32 weeks. They said it was fine. Well, LO disagreed! My OB used an incorrect due date (long story) so they say I was full term (37+ weeks) with a small baby. All the NICU nurses and I agree that I was 36 weeks.

I know I will worry a ton next time that I might go even earlier...

• imageKimber314:
    imagectrickey03:
    imageKimber314:

imagectrickey03:

That's interesting because they did say I had a "good amount of fluid". I believe it was 17 at my growth U/S at 34 weeks. Nothing excessive that they had to do something about, but it could of added pressure to the cervix.

Yeah, a day before I went into labor they stated I had over a gallon of fluid in me. Which added even more pressure to my short cervix. If it added enough pressure to your cervix, maybe that's what caused you to go into labor? After a preemie though they do keep excellent tabs on you when/if you get pregnant with another. So if anything that helps a little bit with the worry.

• My water broke at 35 weeks with no explanation.  We were blessed that he had no NICU time.  He even roomed in with me the 2 days we were in the hospital.  However, my OB is watching this preg. very closely.  I am on progesterone injections.  I did start having Brax. Hicks very early - like 12 weeks which worried  my OB.  But so far so good.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Collin 7.26.09   Sarah 6.18.11   Sammy 5.30.13
  • i can def relate to that, i had my daughter right around 36 weeks i think i was 35 weeks and 6 days so almost 36 weeks, but i had bleeding for 3 months at the beginning. i went to the doctor and got the ok to go on a 2 hour drive to Arkansas and they checked me, said i wouldn't go into labor any  time soon. i drove to arkansas and got to a gas station and my water broke, got to the hospital 9 mins later and they said i was 3 cm dilated and wasnt going anywhere. idk y i went into labor they said the drive shouldnt have done it but i am 25 weeks now and i am wondering if our second lil girl will be coming early too, my first was 5 lbs 1 oz and she didnt have to be in the nicu or anything she had to be under a light during the night but thats it, she had a hard time with her temp but she got to go home when i got to go home. i tested neg for the strep b thing and the only thing i noticed was i had braxton hicks at 20 weeks on with my first and also with my second so far.
    proud mommie of 2 beautiful preemie lil girls
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"