Preemies
Options

Baby Sam was born at 26w3d.

In a strange turn of events, I delivered my son Samuel at 26w3d after nearly 8 weeks on bedrest. After his twin passed and was delivered on December 7, we didn't expect to make it that long. My cervix was at .6mm since January 11 and I was dilated 3-4cms. I went into labor on Thursday, 1/27/11 because I was bleeding quite heavily with close contractions. Labor was long and uncomfortable, but progressed quite quickly. On Friday, 1/28/11 at 6:30AM Sam made his arrival and is doing quite well. He was 2 pounds 4 ounces and 13.5 inches long. They said he is a big boy for his gestational age.

Today, during rounds, the said Sam is doing well. He lost the typical amount of birth weight that they anticipate and will be starting his BM feeds tomorrow. He was under the lights for a touch of jaundice but his levels came down. He went up to the NICU intubated but by his 15th hour of birth was on a CPAP. He's doing well on the CPAP, with just one Brady all day. I was discharged today and my husband and I are with him.

Bed rest and pregnancy complications are very stressful and hard to deal with. Once the baby got to the NICU, my husband and I put our trust into his physicians. Our positivity and optimism/realism will get us through this and at the end of the road, we'll have a child to teach and love.  Thanks for all your kind thoughts.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby Sam was born at 26w3d.

• Options

Welcome to the world Baby Sam!  I am happy that he is doing well. 

Take care of yourself.  You got him to this point with your bedrest. 

The social workers at my hospital helped me a lot when my baby was in the hospital--they were just someone to talk to, and they gave me information on any government programs that could help us. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the birth of your son! Praying for an uneventful NICU stay! Hugs!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Congratulations on Samuels birth - it sounds like you did an amazing job with bedrest to get him that far.  So sorry for the loss of his twin.  That must have been very, very difficult.

It sounds like he is off to a great start in the NICU, and that you and your DH have a good, realistic attitude about his stay there.  Trust in his care is so critical.  I hope he has a smooth NICU journey - there will be ups and downs for sure, but may the downs be small and the ups frequent! 

• Options
    Congratulations on the birth of Sam! Your story sounds very similar to mine. I had Pprom on Brandon's twin at 19 weeks, 2 days and delivered her a week later. I then held onto Brandon until 26 weeks, 1 day when I started bleeding. The next morning they had to do an emergency c section. Today he is a very active 2 1/2 year old.
    Conceived twins with IVF January 2008. Lost baby a at 20 1/2 weeks due to premature rupture of membranes and held onto baby b. Baby b (Brandon) born at 26 weeks and 1 day on July 5, 2008. Wesley born full term on June 29, 2011. My blog http://karenandstu.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • Options

Congratulations, and welcome baby Sam!

A positive attitude is so important when you LO is in the NICU and it sounds like you have it.

• Options
    Congratulations on your baby boy! I hope your nicu stay is short and uneventful.
  • Options

Congrats and welcome!

My son Andrew was born at 26w2d on Dec 30th, 2008 and was 2 lb 3 oz :) Remarkable how similar...(He was in the NICU for 17 weeks, FYI)

He's 2 now and doing great.  T&P to you and your LO!

• Options
    Congrats on the Birth of Sam and I am sorry for the loss of his twin.  A positive attitude in the nicu helps so much.  I tried to laugh as much as I cried.  Some days were harder than others but we got through and have  happy 18 month old now.  Ask any questions you may have.  We are a friendly bunch.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the birth or your son! I am so sorry for the loss of his brother. I hope that Sam's NICU journey is short and uneventful. Please keep us updated.
  • Options

Congratulations on Sam's arrival!  Kudos to you for 8 weeks of bedrest too - that must have been very hard.  And I'm sorry about the loss of Baby A.

Best of luck to you with the NICU stay - I hope it is quiet and uneventful.

• Options

my son ben (and his sister nora) was born at 26w6d and weighed 2# 5oz.  he is now a happy, healthy and BIG 1-year-old.

talk to a social worker or contact social security yourself.  b/c sam was born weighing less than 2# 10oz. he automatically qualifies for SSI and in turn medicaid, which will pick up all medical bills that your primary insurance doesn't.

if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Congratulations on the birth of you son. Praying for uneventful NICU stay for Samuel. Please keep us posted.

• Options

Welcome Baby Sam! Smile 

I am sorry for your loss of your baby twin.  You will always be a MoM (mom of multiples) and a twin mommy.  ((Hugs))  I am still sad about the losses I have had. 

We spent 5 weeks in the NICU.  It was very stressful, but staying positive really does help.  I also found that keeping the exact same schedule daily, gave me a routine, and helped the days go by a little faster.  (i.e. I would wake at a certain time, pump at certain times, drive the the hospital, be there for Kangaroo care, etc.)  I programmed the NICU number into my cell phone, and would call every evening to check on the girls, and I would call in the middle of the night if I woke up.  It made me feel better to check in on them and see how their nights were going.  Take pictures.  Even though it's a hard time, you and baby can look back at the photos one day, and see how far he came/grew up.  I kept a camera in my bag.

I wish you  a short NICU stay.  This is a great message board.

TTC for 12 years. m/c 2009. BFP on New Year's 2010. Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Congraulations on your new baby boy Sam!  It sounds like he's doing amazing.  Keep it up Sam.  Your positive attitude will pull you all through it.  Trust me, your baby will feel it too and appreciate it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"