High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Should I be concerned about a shortened cervix?

So I'm 28 weeks and my most recent u/s showed a shortened cervix of 2.1. It used to be 3.4 six weeks ago. The perinatologist was very concerned, is he overreacting? He thinks I got 4 weeks left and baby will be here.His orders: ?Lay down when I'm home ?lay down after 2 hrs of sitting (which is crazy!) ?no yoga ? no walks around the block ?stay stress free ?call immediately my OB/MW if I feel contractions.On top of this I just started to feel Braxton Hicks yesterday. Do you call your Dr / midwife for every little Braxton Hick? I have tightening in the abdomen that comes and goes, I figure its nothing to worry about. Am I under-reacting? 

Re: Should I be concerned about a shortened cervix?

• Options
    Your Dr. Is not overreacting.  If that were the case many of us would not be on bedrest.  I am on bedrest for a shortening cervix  and have to have weekly P17 shots in  my butt and yeah it sucks, but I would do anything to give our son a better chance even if it was an inconvenience for me.  Better to be on bedrest than to have a possible lengthy stay in NICU.  I am not going to call my Dr. about Braxton Hicks unless they are timeable.  Braxton Hicks can hurt and be uncomfortable sometimes especially the tightening, but as long as they go away with a shift in position, drinking water, laying down, etc. then you should be okay.  Your Dr. should give you a list of the signs of pre-term labor.  Good luck to you and your LO.
    ectopic 03/15/07 @ 9weeks; m/c 9.17.07 @ 6weeks ; m/c 04.02.09 @ 11weeks 1st Round of Clomid - 12/07/09; BFP 01/01/10; nonviable 01/18/10 Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    No, he is not overreacting.  In fact, you are doing more than I was able to do.  However, its not necessarily true the baby is coming in 4 weeks.....unless you don't follow his advice!  Last pregnancy, I got down to a 1.9 at 24 weeks.  I was on complete bedrest at that point.  I was able to get up to shower once a day and make 3 "light meals" a day".  I did a little bit more than I was supposed to as time went on, but for the most part followed her directions.  She took me off bedrest at 35 weeks and 4 days later I went into labor.  Good luck!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh- and about the BH.  If I got 4 or more hr, I would drink alot of water and lay on my left side.  If they continued and were timeable I would call the dr.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto the rest of the ladies.  Your doctor is not over-reacting.  A lot of us are in the same situation as you and are on modified bedrest or complete bedrest.  Currently, I am 24 weeks and my cervix is at 2.3 cm.  I am seeing a high-risk dr. on Thursday and won't be surprised if he puts me on a new bedrest plan.  I haven't been feeling braxton hicks yet but my dr. told me that if I feel tightening more than 4-5 times within an hour, I need to call and go to labor and delivery.  Good luck and take it easy!
  • Options

It is not something to take lightly. I had a cerclage stitch put in last week at 20 1/2 weeks for a cervix measring just under 2cm. With me being just barely 21 weeks they did not want to risk it. I am now on bedrest (restroom and showers every other day) until further notice but will probably continue to keep it that way until I feel that I am at a safer point, since I am still only 21 weeks. At 30ish weeks if all is still the same I will feel much better but still take it easy. It's good that they caught it and are taking precautions because not to sound alarming but many women do lose their babies to IC without ever knowing they have it.

• Options

based on my previous history.... i would be VERY careful and take your dr's orders VERY seriously!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ditto PPs.  My cervix also did a big dive around week 25.  I went on moderated bedrest (working from the couch and only getting up to make a couple of meals a week, perhaps a load of laundry).  The rest I gave my cervix allowed it to lengthen back to 3cm from 2.5cm and there it has stayed until now...week 36.  I've also had 2 positive Ffn tests, and have blown past what my peri thought I'd get to.  Don't take your peri's orders lightly.  He knows way more than you about this and your baby needs all the time you can squeak out of your situation.

Golly Gee! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"