Working Moms

What is a Montessori?

What is a Montessori? Sounds just like a educational day care, to me.

Re: What is a Montessori?

• There are numerous books on the Montessori method, but basically it is the idea that children learn skills by doing "work".  They participate in their own care and the care of others in the classroom.  It is often divided up not by age, but by group of multiple ages.  Those are kind of the obvious differences, there is a lot more to it.  You can read more here.

It works well for some children, but not for all children, thus the director in the post below who said they kick kids out.  They really have to.  It is a program that is predicated on peaceful, calm, cooperation, some kids really are not wired that way.

My BFFs DD went to Montessori until 1st grade and it was very effective for her.  I don't think it is something my child would like.   It is a very interesting program though.

• I went to Montessori and loved it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD started Montessori at 2 & is doing great in it. PP described it well. It teaches life skills while also educating on things you would learn in a classroom setting but it allows children to work somewhat at their own pace & on what they want. We love it for DD & will try DS with it as well. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Ah, well now I understand.

We don't have anything like that around here. In fact, I can count the number of child care centers we have in our whole county on both hands, and we only have one pre-school. And most of the child care centers are just that, places for your kid to go while you go to work. Only a very few try to teach them anything at all.

After reading some more about it, I think SD would have probably done well with the Montessori method had she been exposed to it, but I don't think I would ever push DS that way. He is just too much boy already.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"