Adoption
Options

foster parent help with reunification!

our little girl S. she is 3yrs old left us today after 1.5 yrs with us. she is back with her parents.  They were court ordered in the process to be able to call her at our house and in doing so we talked and she said she wants to have us in her life which we want too.  Mom and dad have mental issues and I am a little Leary of some of the things she says but just keep it in and dont say anything to upset her because we want to be able to see our girl. So question; 1st day she left us is today mom has already called us for advice on a cut she got today(which is fine) but asked if we wanted to meet tomorrow with our son and S. at a craft class.  Then she said she wants us to be at her birthday party this is all still good.  But this is her 1st day back with them.  How do I stay in her life with out getting too involved with the parents how do you "get together" without getting personal and if they ask us questions we dont know how to answer without getting her mom upset when we dont want to tell her personal things (she asks alot of questions and goes from subject to subject).  we want to get together and be able to be in her life but we dont want them knowing where we live and work and get too personal with things just in case at some point if it was to happen she ends up back in our care.    S. was our 1st foster child and we are devastated that she is gone I cant even go in her room and we want to see her but how do you do this??

Re: foster parent help with reunification!

• Options
    Its a good thing that they want you to remain in her life. When our first LO left, I didn't go into that room for 3 weeks. Its going to be hard, I won't lie. Heck, our last placements left 7 months ago and just a few weeks ago I found a nightgown that belonged to one of them and I just broke down in tears and thinking I was a terrible mommy for letting her leave without her favorite nightgown. (Of course, it was a few days after finding out that they are back under a safety plan with a relative that we fought very hard not to let them live with, but that's another story for another time). Just do what you can and go ahead and help BM out if you can.
  • Options

imagecome*on*baby:
    Its a good thing that they want you to remain in her life. When our first LO left, I didn't go into that room for 3 weeks. Its going to be hard, I won't lie.

. Just do what you can and go ahead and help BM out if you can.

ditto this, I also would break down every time our first FS's room would open for months. The smell was too much to bear. After 2 months we had guests stay in his room and I was so upset after they left bc his smell was gone. And we didn't have him near as long as you.

I am so sorry you had to lose her, but hopefully remaining in her life will help you know she is doing ok and have her for weekends and visits.

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No advice...just wanted to offer you some hugs.  (((HUGS)))
  • Options
    I have to keep her door closed. But it doesnt help much, I didnt realize everything I have to pack for her she wouldnt let me put anything away when she would come back from her overnight she got upset if something wasnt there. So now she  is gone and I have everything here to remind me and I have to pack it for her parents to have for her. slippers, sippy cups, hair bows everything.  I didnt know how hard this would be!!  I do hope this works out and we can be in her life.
  • Options

imageMrsB2007:
    No advice...just wanted to offer you some hugs.  (((HUGS)))

This. twice.

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • Options
    thank you everyone!
  • Options

I could have written this same post three years ago.  And how it ended?  Today we are very close with our former foster child and she spends many many weekends with us ...meaning spending the night here a few nights in a row, quite often.  At first I thought it was excessive but her parents are not the best parents and she needs some good examples in her life and we can make sure she gets some healthy meals, new clothes that fit, remains clean (baths), teeth brushed, lots of love, etc while she's in our care. 

In the begining I did not want to give her parents much info either, but over time, we were more and more comfortable doing so.  It's quite obvious to us now that they would not be harmful to us.  They call us her other family.  They are still having issues with the law and it's quite possible she could go back into care.  They actually told us if that happens, they will feel much better now knowing their daughter would be with us in good care.  I almost think they are hoping they will lose custody. 

The downfall to our relationship is the cost and also the exhaustion.  We get so tired of driving back and forth to do pickups and drop offs ...they live about an hour away and have their drivers licenses revoked.  And our monthly expenses are quite higher when we have her many weekends, because we buy her new clothing still, haircuts, quality food, entertainment, etc.  And yes, 100% is out of our pocket.  But we figure it's money very well spent.

With her items in the house, we gradually gave them back.  We gave all the necessities and some, when she left us.  We then met up a weekend later, and we gave lots more.  It took about 5 visits before she got most her things back.  We kept some clothes, and a couple other things for when she'd come visit.  All the items I'm referring to were purchased by us (she came to us with nothing).  

Ours came to us at 2 1/2 and left us at age almost 4. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"