Working Moms
Options

How much does a nanny cost?

Hey ladies,

We live in a fairly LCOL of living area and we're thinking about getting a nanny...can you give me an idea of what we'd pay...or tell me how to find out the general rates? Or let me know what you pay? TIA!

Re: How much does a nanny cost?

• Options
    I pay $17 an hour.
  • Options
    There are rate calculators on sites like care.com and sittercity.com that will tell you what the norm is for your area.  I am actually paying $12.50/hr and I am in a high cost of living area (just outside of NYC).  This is less than the norm for my area.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagekant08:
    I pay $17 an hour.
    wow! For one child and not in a major metro area?
  • Options

imageLittleBabyC:
    imagekant08:
    I pay $17 an hour.

This is pretty typical for our are too.  The last time I asked around here, the average weekly salary was 600.  This is close to 30K/year.  I wouldn't want to make that little so I wouldn't ask my (imaginary) nanny to take home less than that. 

• Options
    imageshannm:

imageLittleBabyC:
    imagekant08:
    I pay $17 an hour.

This is pretty typical for our are too.  The last time I asked around here, the average weekly salary was 600.  This is close to 30K/year.  I wouldn't want to make that little so I wouldn't ask my (imaginary) nanny to take home less than that. 

That makes me sad. I teach (and have for a while) and I only make just over 30K a year. I make less than $600/week after taxes. So, to hear you refer to that as little is sad. That's all. I clearly don't have a nanny so I can't tell you how much one would cost, but more than we can afford for sure. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    we pay $11.50 an hour for twins. We live in a LCOL area as well. The average range was $10-$15 around here depending on how much experience they have and how many kids they are watching etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageceliabwatson:
    imageshannm:

imageLittleBabyC:
    imagekant08:
    I pay $17 an hour.

That makes me sad. I teach (and have for a while) and I only make just over 30K a year. I make less than $600/week after taxes. So, to hear you refer to that as little is sad. That's all. I clearly don't have a nanny so I can't tell you how much one would cost, but more than we can afford for sure. 

I didn't mean to make you sad.  Trust me, I am not that far above that amount.  Do you know of any other positions that require a four year degree that pay less than that?  I don't think it is a shock that many people consider teachers underpaid.  But this is kind of my point.  Why should a nanny who is caring and teaching a small child make less than a teacher?

• Options
    imageshannm:
    imageceliabwatson:
    imageshannm:

imageLittleBabyC:
    imagekant08:
    I pay $17 an hour.

I didn't mean to make you sad.  Trust me, I am not that far above that amount.  Do you know of any other positions that require a four year degree that pay less than that?  I don't think it is a shock that many people consider teachers underpaid.  But this is kind of my point.  Why should a nanny who is caring and teaching a small child make less than a teacher?

Sorry to jump in here, but I'm a teacher and this statement kind of rubbed me the wrong way.  We have a nanny and she makes less than I do.  Why?  Because she's responsible for 2 kids(we share her with another family).  I'm responsible for 33.  She only needs to worry about the needs/wants of us and the other family.  I'm juggling my principal, the school board, the parents, and the students.  I have state standards to align my curriculum to in addition to addressing the many different learning styles in my classroom in order to make sure everyone has the best chance at learning the material.  I'm not saying my nanny isn't great and that she doesn't care/teach my daughter.  But it's not comparable to teaching at all.  So, that's why I'm ok with our nanny making less than I do.

• Options
    Omg. I didn't mean to start a debate. I do have a nanny and I pay what I can, feel is reasonable, etc. If I could pay everyone what I "want" to pay then I wouldn't be able to have the nanny or any services for that matter. She is free to ask for a raise or leave is she feels her pay isn't suitable.
  • Options
    imagehoneybee111:
    imageshannm:
    imageceliabwatson:
    imageshannm:

imageLittleBabyC:
    imagekant08:
    I pay $17 an hour.

Sorry to jump in here, but I'm a teacher and this statement kind of rubbed me the wrong way.  We have a nanny and she makes less than I do.  Why?  Because she's responsible for 2 kids(we share her with another family).  I'm responsible for 33.  She only needs to worry about the needs/wants of us and the other family.  I'm juggling my principal, the school board, the parents, and the students.  I have state standards to align my curriculum to in addition to addressing the many different learning styles in my classroom in order to make sure everyone has the best chance at learning the material.  I'm not saying my nanny isn't great and that she doesn't care/teach my daughter.  But it's not comparable to teaching at all.  So, that's why I'm ok with our nanny making less than I do.

I completely understand your point.  From my perspective, being a nanny is a hard, full time job to be good at (I understand this is relative, I am picky) and I am totally fine with a good nanny asking for 30K/year.

• Options
    We pay our nannies (have 2 part time) each $9/hour. I would say average is $10/hour around here, but they are college students and we are SUPER flexible with their school and vacation schedules.
  • Options

We also pay $9/hour and are super flexible. We also do 3 weeks PTO, 9 paid holidays. Here I've seen everything from 7 - 15/hour depending on a number of factors. Usually the higher paid individuals also are housekeepers.

• Options
    I pay $10 an hour. Need to work out what we will pay once there are 2 kids.
  • Options

We pay $250 a week, for 4 days from 7:30am till 12:30pm.  That comes out to $12.50 per hour, but we pay the same for weeks with holidays/sick days etc.

• Options

Yes, I have one child and I pay $17 an hour.  We live in the midwest, but it's not as low cost as what people believe.  She does all of my housework while my child is napping.  That includes laundry, floors, bathrooms, etc.  She takes her to the library, park, etc.  Most importantly she loves my child as if it were her own grandchild.  I cannot be home much because of my job, but I know even when she is sick she is getting special attention.  

Being a nanny is HARD work.  Not everything in life is based upon education..... I believe that there are special people out there who are outstanding compared to their peers and are paid justly because of it.  She is outstanding and I cannot say enough about her.  

As for the argument my husband is a teacher.... he does not feel slighted at all by her pay. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"