Georgia Babies

WWYD: Crib climbing

I am sure Colin is the LAST of the '08 babes to still be in a crib. We were going strong and I REALLY thought I'd make it until the spring in his crib but he climbed out today. I am very unprepared, I blame it on denial. So what do I do tonight? Our crib is a drop side, not a convertible. Do I put him in a twin bed? A mattress on the floor? I don't have a bed rail or anything for the twin bed we have. I don't want him to get hurt but could he stay in the crib one more night until we can shift things around? This kid likes to do everything big, spur of the moment so he can totally throw me for a loop. 

On another note I am SOO bummed that he has figured this out. Bye bye extra hour of morning sleep. It's going to be interesting when he can just waltz into our room. :-(  

Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: WWYD: Crib climbing

• Not the last...I was hoping Reid would be in kindergarten and still be in his crib...but I caught him trying to climb out so our days are numbered. Does he wake up often at night? If so, and you think he try climbing out I'd move him out of the crib -I'd probably do mattress on the floor for a night. If he's a pretty sound sleeper I'd do the crib for another night. Good luck!
    Grant Thomas 8.8.06 and Reid Alexander 8.11.08
  • I would put his mattress on the floor and put a gate at his door so he can't leave his room. Welcome to big boy bed hell! Sorry!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Jack is still in his crib, too.  We've actually been meaning to move him to a big boy bed, but we've been lazy in doing so.  We plan on moving him soon.  I know he'll do well because the last four times we've been oot, Jack has slept on a mattress in the floor and has done great.  I would go ahead and move Collin and let him sleep on a mattress in the floor.  If you have some issues tonight, then move him back to the crib, but I'm sure he'll be ready for the change.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageDzsGirl:
    Not the last...I was hoping Reid would be in kindergarten and still be in his crib...but I caught him trying to climb out so our days are numbered. Does he wake up often at night? If so, and you think he try climbing out I'd move him out of the crib -I'd probably do mattress on the floor for a night. If he's a pretty sound sleeper I'd do the crib for another night. Good luck!

Brandi he is a pretty sound sleeper until about 5:30/6am then he rustles around but will go back to sleep until 7:30/8. Guess that's over now.  

Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would stick his mattress on the floor.  I actually had lots of luck with the transition to a big bed.  I bought bunk beds at ikea that basically had the bottom bed on the floor (it really is pretty much a mattress on the floor).  It works great because I don't have to worry about him falling out of it.  I think the key to transitioning is getting the crib compeltely out of sight.  We had a small room and house so we had to take it down, but it seems like everyone I have talked to that was able to completely take the crib down did great.  Your probably fine for tonight, but if you are going to worry I would just stick the mattress on the floor.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • No advice. Just wanted to say that he's not the last. Abigail is still in the crib and I dread the day she decides to escape.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My boys are use to with the doors closed.  So when Nate gets up in the morning in his big boy bed he stays in it until we come get him.  Yes he knows how to open doors and knows how to get out of his bed but he stays in it (including naps) by staying in his bed until we get him.  I know this is probably not the norm but I am loving it until the day Wes crawls out of his crib.  So you never know.

But yes do the twin bed on the floor until you get bed rails.  Gate on the door works too.

• Yeah, I would somehow make sure he can't get out of his room on his own. DS sleeps with the door closed, and we have a doorknob cover so he can't open it. He stays in bed until his sun is on on his nightlight, and if he is up before it he sits in bed and sings or plays with his animals.

Honestly, I dreaded the transition and it was SO easy. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Cadence was in the crib for a long time. We just moved her at the end of October so she was over 2.5 years old. We went straight for the twin bed, one side against the wall, no rails. Her bed is low to the ground though. She did roll out a few times but did not get hurt at all (I put pillows on the floor for a while). When she fell out she would just hop right back in and go back to sleep. Also, (and I should knock on a lot of wood saying this) she has never once gotten out of bed to play. I feel like she was in the crib so long and she just doesn't realize it's an option. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• Honestly, I wouldn't worry about him getting hurt since he's he's 2.5...Ethan can get in and out of the crib so easily at this same age (he's in a big boy bed, but just climbs in and out playing in the crib when I'm in the nursery doing anything to get ready for baby girl).  We moved him to his big boy bed at 2 only because there was no reason not to, he could get out of the crib so easily (and did, over and over and over). 

As far as keeping him in his room...we have a childproof lock on the outside handle so he cannot open the door.  To me, it is no different than them not being able to get out of the room on their own when they are stuck in the crib.  We have to lock him in still because otherwise he'll come out and run to Jack's room and wake him up, so we have to keep him contained.  We have a monitor in his room still, so when we hear him we go let him out.  He actually figured out how to pick locks with hardback books, so we even had to take all his books out of his room because he started picking the lock on the bathroom door and running through to Jack's room!

Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Not the last.  Tess still loves her crib.  As a matter of fact, I haven't even lowered the mattress.  She could totally get out if she wanted but is absolutely content.  Hoping it last til middle school.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"