D.C. Area Babies

hellish diaper rash

I'm out of my mind w/ DS's diaper rash. He is pooping so much I can't keep it at bay. He's on Nystatin and Mupirocin (bactroban) but it's not helping, the Dr prescribed it for a week. He also might have a yeast infection in there too

the pharmacist said not to use corn powder b/c it can make things worse

pls tell me your best remedy, my little guy is so miserable and I just want to cry every time he cries (which is every time I change him)

I do let him air out a little but I wish it was summer time and I could keep him outside naked in the sun

(PS we use disposable diapers and I changed from Pampers dry max to walgreens brand for now)

Re: hellish diaper rash

• I swear by Aquafor or Eucerin.  You can use Vaseline if don't have either.  The moisture barrier it creates just seems to give skin time to heal.
  • I was using Aquaphor and it was great for preventing, maybe I'll lather it on over the other 2 meds...once he started pooping like a newborn, it just got out of control

• Loading the player...
  • DD gets yeast infections like nobody's business. Her last one was in her underarm, which I didn't even know was possible. Tongue Tied

We use Nystatin four times a day, and triple paste in between. We let her air out (just running around upstairs), and cross our fingers that she doesn't pee (or worse) on the rug.

Good luck!

• If it's a yeast infection down there, you can put Monistat (or any similar) cream on his bum three times a day.

We did this with DS when he had bad diaper rash do to being on antibiotics....it worked well, took a day or so to see the difference, but it worked.

• Bambino battles this off and on and I find the only thing that really works for us is Triple Paste.  I sometimes would do a mix of Aveeno diaper cream and A&D.  Last week, his poor little diaper had some pink tinged in from where it was open and I pretty much cried just seeing that.  That particular night, I actually ripped the sides of the diaper out (the inner elastic part) and put him in a shirt, sleepsack and socks and in the morning his butt was so much better (I also gooped the triple paste up big time on his bottom)

I also swear by that Aveeno calming baby wash.  I can make a packet last about 3 or 4 baths using it in the baby tub.  

My MIL started ripping the sides (she cuts, I rip them) of the diapers out.  At first I thought she was crazy, but now I think she's on to something.  By only ripping out the inner elastic, the crib and clothes were dry in the  morning... if he had pooped, I don't know what would have happened!  But I was prepared for it...

Hope your little man's bottom clears up soon.  Diaper rash is the pits...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I swear by California Baby Diaper Cream. Last year, LO had diaper rash while we were OOT. Long story short, after two different prescriptions, California Baby Diaper Cream and letting his diaper area fully dry before putting the fresh diaper on worked wonders. There is an anti-fungal in the cream that many other diaper creams and ointments don't have. I don't want to jinx us, but that was the last bad diaper rash my LO has had. Any sign of irritation, I use a little bit of CA Baby and it clears right up!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Dear Sofka,

A pricier (and slightly more time consuming) alternative is to try cloth diapers -- even if only temporarily just when he gets a bad rash. We have been using them for a year and a half and never had a diaper rash with them. If you are desperate enough, give it a try. I couldn't imagine having to hear H cry when changing her diaper!

We use Fuzzibunz and have never looked back. Not once, not ever.

Dry idea,

kewliegirl

(also, when we were using disposables, we kept a "butt cloth" on the changing table that we used to pat her butt dry before every single change)

imageimageimage
  • I swear by Burt's Bees diaper rash. It usually clears up the worst diaper rash in a day, two at the very most. Hope its better soon!
  • Our ped told us to put Lotrimin on the diaper rash when it gets really bad and yeasty. Ditto airing out as much as possible and just hoping he doesn't poop on the floor!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • update: last night I started putting a cloth diaper (I've had a few I was using as burp clothes) inside his regular diaper; he was not better so this morning I took him to the Dr who prescribed Vusion - 2 pharmacies and $194!!!!!! later I have it. I have also been washing DS after each poop (still every 2-3 hrs!!) and letting him air dry. I have basically done nothing but wash him, stay w/ him while he dries or wash out cloth diapers (now in the laundry), in my other time - I nurse him. I also started him on yogurt today (he'll be 8mo old in a week so it's OK).

where can I buy triple paste? only online? we are not near Whole Foods but are near Wegman's.

thanks, everyone!!

• I think I got my Triple Paste either at a Giant or CVS.

Sorry to hear it's not getting better yet! Crossing my fingers that he'll stop pooping soon!

• imagevtmezzo:
    Our ped told us to put Lotrimin on the diaper rash when it gets really bad and yeasty. Ditto airing out as much as possible and just hoping he doesn't poop on the floor!

i was also advised to use jock rash/itch cream on dd's bottom for a terrible rash.  it worked!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We got our Triple Paste at CVS but I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Target.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Poor DS, I'm so sorry!!  Sad

I make the home version of Nastatin (I think that's what the prescription strength is called) by mxing equal parts Vasaline, diaper cream of some kind (I use Desitin), and Monistat 7.  That usually kicks out most rashes, but it sounds like your DS has a real doozy!!

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"