Special Needs

Suggestions for behavior issues please

Background on ds: He has had developmental delays since birth.  He was recently officially diagnosed with Disruptive Behavioral Disturbance (which the doctor said may later be a diagnosis of ADHD), anxiety disorder, Sensory Preocessing, developmental delays and hypotonia.

Since birth he has been a challenging, spirited, intense child.  Things have to go his way...he fixates on things, gets obsessive, can't let things go etc.  With all these issues, he is high functioning.  He has no problems at school.

He is now 6 years old and we are trying so hard to get rid of the whining, tantrums, expectations that the world revolves around him.  It is not going well.  We have been working on this for about a year now.  The littlest thing can set him off.  For example, last night my dh was busy so ds had to share reading time with his sister at bedtime instead of one on one reading.  He threw a fit...crying, coughing ( he tries to make himself throw up), yelling. 

A lot of the time I can't even get the words out before he anticipates what he thinks I am going to say and starts with the "freaking out".  The n=behavior ranges from whining to throwing things, yelling, crying etc.

What can I do?  We explain things to him.  Tell him he needs to stop, that the tantrums do not get him what he wants etc.

Should I do time outs for this bahavior? SOmething else?  I really needs some suggestions because as he gets older, it is getting worse. Thanks

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"