Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Adult Only SuperBowl Party Invite WWYD

A childless couple who are friends of DH and I are throwing a Super Bowl party.  The invite read "Grab a sitter for the kids....".  Now I have never heard of a Super Bowl party that kids can't come to (it's not super late here like it is on the E Coast), so I replied that we weren't going to be able to make it.  She then replied "Oh no, why?  We haven't seen you in so long".  Now do I do the polite thing and respond with  "We have already RSVP'd to another party", or say what is really on my mind "I see no reason to hire a sitter to watch a nationally televised football game "?  I understand the latter seem a little hostile, but really?  A sitter for a Super Bowl party at someone's house?  I am used to going to parties where there are tons of kids.

Re: Adult Only SuperBowl Party Invite WWYD

• Options

It's really not that big of a deal.   They want an adult only party.   If you don't want to get a sitter than say so, you don't need to make up an excuse.   You just don't go then.     It's up to the hosts what kind of party they want.  

• Options
    Eh, it means they want to drink and get rowdy and that's not a child-friendly environment IMHO. I enjoy Superbowl parties way more without kids. Don't be snarky about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I can see them not wanting toddlers and such running around their house if they don't have kids, but a baby is a bit of a different story.

I'd reply that all your regular sitters are going to parties themselves, so you won't be able to make it. It's closer to the truth Smile

• Options

I would say that you would just like to spend LO's first Super bowl party as a family since it is his first. 

My parents used to have SB parties every year and there were ALWAYS kids there.  It made it more fun!

Married 2007
    DS - 5/2010
    DD - 6-2013
    TTC #3 - Cycle #9

• Options

If they want an adult only party then that is fine. They probably just want all of their guests to have a nice evening out away from their kids.

If you do not want to get a sitter, then just tell her. 

Brady (7.15.10) and Nolan (5.11.13)
  • Options
    I agree with PP.  If you don't want to hire a sitter, just say so.  I think it's a good idea they put that on the invite.  Sometimes people want to drink and yell at the TV without worrying about behaving appropriately around kids.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Options
    I have been to plenty of Super Bowl parties where there weren't kids. It is perfectly acceptable that they want to host an adults-only party...it's their party. If you don't want to get a sitter, that's your prerogative as well, and you can tell her politely if she presses you.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't see the big deal and I don't see why you have to either lie or give them a snarky response.  I can certainly understand why you are upset you can't make it but I can also see the flip side.  A bunch of kids running around while you're trying to watch the Super Bowl is pretty annoying - even more so if you don't have kids of your own.  I'd be happy to find a sitter and have some adult time.
  • Options

Dude.  Just be honest and say you can't get a sitter (can't or won't, I don't think it really matters). 

I don't understand all these roundabout answers.  

And yes, they're the ones hosting the party - so they get to decide who to invite and what type of party they want.  If it doesn't work for you/your family, then just don't go.  

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options
    LOL.  You really can't imagine why a childless couple wouldn't want their guests bringing small children & babies to a party where they're going to be watching television and likely drinking? To a house that probably isn't baby-proofed?  If it were me, I'd get a sitter and go, but if you don't want to, that's your prerogative.  Tell them sorry, you can't find a babysitter, but you'd love to get together another time.  Don't be hostile about it.
  • Options

I've been to plenty of SB parties that didnt' have kids there.  Just because your "used to" going to parties w/ kids doesn't mean that every party from here on out will have kids.

They dont' want kids there.  Get a sitter and go or don't get one and don't go.  But RESPECT their choice.

Don't be "that mom" who can't go anywhere w/o her precious little angel. 

And for the record, I've been invited to a party too that my friend say "no kids".  I'm FINE w/ that.  I actually welcome the opportunity to get out and have a little adult time.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I would just tell them the truth, but in a nice way. Just stating that you are unable to get a sitter. Maybe that will guilt trip them into allowing children. However, if it's thy sort of party you prob won't want to bring kids anyways
  • Options
    Just say you don't want to or can't get a sitter.  No need to lie or be snarky about it. 
  • Options

I don't know why some of the pps seem like you are making a big deal out of this.  You are entitled to your feelings.  And pps, she already kindly rsvp'd no and the host is putting her on the spot and asking why.

I do agree with the pps that they are entitled to have their party without kids for whatever reason they want.  Before I had kids my house was not kid-proof and parties with children was a little stressful and certainly less rowdy & fun.   But you are entitled to your thoughts and say no to hiring a sitter for a SB party.  

I would tell your friend that SB Sunday doesn't work for you, but you would love to get together soon- maybe invite her over for dinner and give a few dates?

Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    imagemissdanib:

A childless couple who are friends of DH and I are throwing a Super Bowl party.  The invite read "Grab a sitter for the kids....".  Now I have never heard of a Super Bowl party that kids can't come to (it's not super late here like it is on the E Coast), so I replied that we weren't going to be able to make it.  She then replied "Oh no, why?  We haven't seen you in so long".  Now do I do the polite thing and respond with  "We have already RSVP'd to another party", or say what is really on my mind "I see no reason to hire a sitter to watch a nationally televised football game "?  I understand the latter seem a little hostile, but really?  A sitter for a Super Bowl party at someone's house?  I am used to going to parties where there are tons of kids.

Sorry, but it doesn't matter what you are used to. It is their house. Maybe they never go to Super Bowl parties where there are kids and they can't imagine having a party with kids there.  It really isn't your place to say if they should have kids there or not. 

You really can't go to a party if your kid isn't invited?  If you can't or don't want to get a sitter, that's fine, but then you don't go to the party and it should be NBD either way.  What they are asking is not unreasonable at all. 

• Options

Why would you be a biitch to a friend?

We have a child and will still have childless parties. 

If you want to go, get a sitter. If you don't want to leave the baby, just tell her.

• Options
    imageBride2b2004:

I don't know why some of the pps seem like you are making a big deal out of this.  You are entitled to your feelings.  And pps, she already kindly rsvp'd no and the host is putting her on the spot and asking why.

I do agree with the pps that they are entitled to have their party without kids for whatever reason they want.  Before I had kids my house was not kid-proof and parties with children was a little stressful and certainly less rowdy & fun.   But you are entitled to your thoughts and say no to hiring a sitter for a SB party.  

I would tell your friend that SB Sunday doesn't work for you, but you would love to get together soon- maybe invite her over for dinner and give a few dates?

I think Bride2B was the only one who really understood what I was getting at.  I had already RSVP'd no and she wanted to know why.  Basically the question was do I tell her the real reason why, because it I know that is sounds bitchy, I even said it was hostile.

I know that they are entitled to have their own party however they see fit, and I wasnt asking if I should try to get her to change her party for me.  I have just never heard of a Super Bowl party with no kids, apparently,now I know that it is common in a lot of circles.  Thank you all for your answers.

• Options

Just be honest.  You don't want to hire a sitter.  It's not like your reason is offensive. 

And honestly, superbowl is a reason for many to get drunk, yell at the TV, and have a good time.  It's not really a kid environment.  Would you take your kid to a bar to watch the superbowl?  Just because it's a house doesn't mean that it's going to be a tea party environment.

I don't think they will be offended or blame you really.  But I bet if they find out you lied they may be.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"