Parenting
Options

At what age does a child go into a booster seat?

I am trying to decide whether to get my daughter a new car seat or just wait until my son is ready for a booster seat.  He turned three in July but he is a big boy.  At his three year old appointment I think he weighed 38 pounds and was around 40 inches.  He fits in the size range for a booster but I don't feel like he is old enough.  Is there an age besides the size ranges that I should wait for?

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: At what age does a child go into a booster seat?

• Options
    Where I live, they have to be 4 and 40 lbs. ?You may want to check your state's regulations
  • Options

I am pretty sure it is 5.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If my DD keeps to her current curve, she will be EIGHT when she goes to a booster (40 lbs).  The law here is 4'9" or 6 years, a child must be in an "appropriate" restraint,
  • Options
    I've always heard 4 years and 40 pounds, but I think Joebunny is right, that it's really more an issue of height. ?The seatbelt needs to hit her in the right place. ?My plan is to wait until closer to 6 to move to a booster, since it's a step down in safety. ?Younger kids sometimes won't keep the seatbelt in the right position, so I don't really want him to have the freedom to move around that much until he's older.
  • Options
    They do make 5 point harness booster seats that later can be used as a regular booster with the car seatbelt.  We won't be using a regular booster seat until he no longer fits in any 5 point harness carseat.
    imageimage
  • Options
    They make boosters for kids aged 4 AND 40 lbs, but that's the bare bones minimum. The longer they are in a 5 pt harness, the better.
  • Options

It is best to keep your child in a booster seat as long as you can. 

Is here a great guide to go by

https://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=38893

• Options
    My son is the same size and nowhere near going into a booster. Since he's so big, I got him the Britax Regent since it's the seat with the highest top shoulder harness. It's safest to keep them in a harness for as long as possible. A 3 year old is not mature enough, physically or otherwise, to sit behind a seat belt in a booster seat. A cheaper option to the Regent is the graco nautilus, which does convert to a booster later on. My biggest concern with it for a child who is big for their age is that it won't give them the longest time possible in a harness, height or weight wise. The Regent's top slot is 20 inches, and it harnesses to 80 lbs. I can't remember the top slot for the nautilus, but I know it's not quite 19 inches.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"