Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

EPers - Need tips on pumping sessions

So currently, I pump twice at work and twice at home.  It's so much better than it used to be.  I used to pump every three hours and have stretched it out to every 5-6 hours.  I'm getting a little less milk, but I've always produced more than DS can consume anyway.  So I'm okay with that.  But the time it takes to pump is too long I think.  Usually, I pump at 5:30 am and get about 13-14 oz in about 30 minutes.  This is my longest pumping session since I'm so full in the morning.  Then I pump at work at 10:30 am and about 3:30 pm.  Each session I get about 8-9 oz.  But it takes me at least 20 minutes of pumping and breast compressions at the end to get this amount.  To by the time I get to the pumping room, get set up, pump, clean everything up, and get back to my desk, it's been over 30 minutes.  Are there any tips you have to speed up this process?  Most women in the pumping room only pump for about 10 minutes.  I don't know how much milk they are getting, but it seems like I have slow boobs.  Advice?  TIA!

Re: EPers - Need tips on pumping sessions

• Options
    It takes me 30 minutes to walk to our pumping room, get set up, pump, and clean up... So I don't think I'm going to be much help. Have you tried turning your pump up? Massaging while you pump right off of the bat to create a little more pressure?
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yep, start to finish is 30 minutes for me too. Sorry, I have no advice. :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am lucky enough to be able to pump in my office, but it takes me 20 minutes to pump and lately I am lucky if I can even get close to what I send for DS to eat during the day....my supply has been sucky over the last week.

I am guessing it is taking longer because you are getting so much out.  I only get 4-5oz per session, so I drain faster.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Okay, thanks ladies!  Sad  I suspected that's what you would say.  I think the women that I work with have freakish boobs that drain in a hurry.  Either that or they don't get much per session because they don't need it?  I know one woman (who is the fastest pumper I've ever seen) has an older child (over a year).  So maybe whatever milk she gets is a bonus to her child instead of a necessity.  I guess I'll just hold strong to my 20 minutes.  At least it's a break in my day!
  • Options
    I am pretty much where you are. It takes about 25 mins for me, and I normally get between 10- 12oz total. I am a rn and work 12hr night shiffts so i normally try and pump in the parking lot before i go in and then twice while im there. I have only been back to work 1 month and I used to pump every 3 hrs, so I ma worried my supply is going to go down.  Did any of you have that problem? if you notice it starting to go down, do you just pump longer and mroe often to increase it again?  Thanks :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagekjohn091:
    I am pretty much where you are. It takes about 25 mins for me, and I normally get between 10- 12oz total. I am a rn and work 12hr night shiffts so i normally try and pump in the parking lot before i go in and then twice while im there. I have only been back to work 1 month and I used to pump every 3 hrs, so I ma worried my supply is going to go down.  Did any of you have that problem? if you notice it starting to go down, do you just pump longer and mroe often to increase it again?  Thanks :)

I think mine has decreased simply because for a while I didn't pump as long as I should've.  I was pumping for about 10 minutes instead of 20.  I'm holding steady right now, though, by pumping for 20 minutes every 5 hours.  I do notice that while at work I drink less water.  So that has impacted me.  But as soon as I increase my intake of liquids, my supply bounces back quickly.  I'm hoping to go down to three pumping sessions a day as DS eats more solids and decreases his milk intake a little.  If he starts to consume less than 30 oz a day, then I'm good with three sessions (minimum 10 oz per session).  Otherwise, I'll have to keep up the four sessions.  But really, that's not that bad since I used to pump 8 times a day!  Wow!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"