TTC after 35

XP: Intro & Question about Temping After a Loss (DD in ticker)

-->
XP from TTCAL: 

Hi, I've always lurked more than posted on the Bump, but after finding a missed m/c this week at 11 weeks (baby stopped growing at 7w6d) and being 39, I'm freaking out about being able to get PG again.  I have never temped, but want to start.  If you started temping after a m/c when did you start?  I know the day of the mc/ (in my case, a D&C on 1/26 (weds) is considered CD 1 and like a crazy person, I took a HPT today to see if my HCG levels were already down (they were), but since I was taking progesterone supplements up until the night before my missed m/c, not sure if I should start temping now or wait till after AF the first time.  I don't see my OB again for 2 weeks to ask.  Anyone have any thoughts/ experiences that you could share?  Thanks in advance!
DD2- May 2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 1/26/11- missed m/c @ 12 weeks

Re: XP: Intro & Question about Temping After a Loss (DD in ticker)

• Sorry, this is another "I don't know" response, but I'm very interested in seeing how people answer since it looks like I am having a m/c right now and I am wondering how/when the "reset" happens.  I'm hoping not to have a D&C this time around since it's so early and seems to be happening naturally, but you never know. 

I'm 39 too, I had a missed m/c at 10 weeks in 2009 and a D&C the day after so I know what it's like, and I'm very very sorry for your loss.  I didn't temp after the m/c--just waited for the next real cycle--because back then we thought we didn't need to, which is why I don't have the answer to your question.

me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 
  • I am so sorry for your loss.  I didn't temp when I got pregnant with my son (at 37).  However, when we decided we wanted to try for #2,  I decided to temp.  I started temping in November and also got pregnant that month.  Unfortunately, I had an early miscarriage.  At first I thought I wouldn't continue to temp right away because everyone says your cycles can be a bit off after a miscarriage.  So, I wasn't sure if the information I obtained through temping would be helpful.  However, I decided to continue temping because it gave me a sense of focus/purpose during a time when I felt I had no control over things. 

If you decide to temp, be prepared for the fact that your cycle may fluctuate a bit (ex. you might ovulate at different times, you might experience spotting mid-cycle) over the next few months as your body returns to normal post-miscarriage.

As far as freaking out about not being able to get pregnant, I'll tell you what my husband tells me: "We have a child so we know you can have a healthy pregnancy.  You were able to get pregnant two months ago, so clearly you can still get pregnant." (I'm also 39). I know it's hard, but try to remain positive. Good luck!   

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks everyone!  It's a long journey, as I'm sure each of you knows, so I appreciate all of you advice and well wishes.  It's been a long week and I'm just trying to foucs on next steps.

By the way, I also had a myomectomy to remove fibroids and a moderately high FSH test results (11.5), but have gotten pregnant 2x since both of those (one DD and one m/c), so if anyone out there has questions about either of those issues, I'm happy to return the favor and discuss (though, obviously no one wants my current outcome in a pregnancy).

Good luck to each of you and have a great weekend.

DD2- May 2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 1/26/11- missed m/c @ 12 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"