Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Baby Sign Language

Is anyone teaching their baby to sign? I thought I might try it with DS #2. Any one have good book recommendations? Or, have you found signing not to work? I've read arguments from both sides.

Re: Baby Sign Language

• Options
    I personally haven't tried it but twins I nannied in college knew it and it worked really well for them!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I am.  Everyone I know who has used sign has said it's been beneficial.  I'm not using a book.  Really, unless you want to teach them full ASL, I would just look up the signs for the things you might want him to learn for early communication.  I've introduced milk, change, sleep, tired, and finished, and he's already starting to recognize milk.  I've also halfheartedly introduced mommy and daddy.  Just use the sign anytime you do the action/refer to the thing.  Once  DS really starts solids, we'll add in eat, and more, and when we start PLing, I'll introduce bathroom.   I also sign the alphabet and numbers for him during the day, mostly because he loves watching my hands move, and throughout the day, I'll sign along to whatever I'm talking about, so he gets random vocabulary here and there, which probably really won't help him much unless I become more regular about it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I plan on teaching my son to sign.  He is my first child, so I don't really have direct experience with this, but two of my nieces and one of my nephews who I have spent a lot of time babysitting did baby sign.  It was WONDERFUL for them.  I feel like they were able to behave better than other children of the same age who cannot sign because they were able to communicate more effectively.

From what my SIL has told me and what I've read, you start signing with your baby around 6-9 months.   If you just do a basic search on google, there is a TON of info out there about baby sign.  There are even sites with instructions and demonstrations of signs.  If you are undecided as to whether signing is for you or not, you can always start there before buying books. 

• Options
    We haven't started yet but we plan on doing it with DD.  We got a really interesting book for Christmas called Baby Signing 123 by Nancy Cadjan.  I also paid for the iPhone app My Smart Hands which is great.
  • Options

imageAnanke:
    I am.  Everyone I know who has used sign has said it's been beneficial.  I'm not using a book.  Really, unless you want to teach them full ASL, I would just look up the signs for the things you might want him to learn for early communication.  I've introduced milk, change, sleep, tired, and finished, and he's already starting to recognize milk.  I've also halfheartedly introduced mommy and daddy.  Just use the sign anytime you do the action/refer to the thing.  Once  DS really starts solids, we'll add in eat, and more, and when we start PLing, I'll introduce bathroom.   I also sign the alphabet and numbers for him during the day, mostly because he loves watching my hands move, and throughout the day, I'll sign along to whatever I'm talking about, so he gets random vocabulary here and there, which probably really won't help him much unless I become more regular about it.

You're right, I'm not wanting to fully teach him ASL, but the basics like you mentioned. I'll google it up, and give it a go. Thanks.

• Options

imagelabbielover07:
    We haven't started yet but we plan on doing it with DD.  We got a really interesting book for Christmas called Baby Signing 123 by Nancy Cadjan.  I also paid for the iPhone app My Smart Hands which is great.

Oooh very cool!  I just looked that up and downloaded it =]

• Options

imagelabbielover07:

Nice, I'll take a look at that too. 

• Options
    We are too.  I am just planning on teaching him the basics (milk/eat/change/sleep/mom/dad, etc).  I got "Teach Your Baby to Sign" by Monica Beyer.  It's a good book because its filled with pictures, however, you really do not need a book unless you are planning on teaching A LOT of signs.
    image. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We will definitely be teaching DD#2 SL.  We taught DD#1 SL and she did so well with it.  It was really cool knowing what she was thinking before she could speak- even out on walks, I knew that she was marveling at flowers, dogs, or people's hats!  She was so so so proud of herself that she could communicate with us.  To this day, she is an excellent communicator and has never had a full blown tantrum.  I don't know if it's just her or that she's been given the power of communication so early on that she's been able to deal with her emotions in a different way because she knows she can communicate.  It didn't inhibit her speech at all. She was an early speaker and is still very verbal and communicative for her age.  
  • Options

I've read only good things about signing for babies, and I have been working on it with Eli for a while. (You can start as soon as they are born, but shouldn't expect to see signs for quite a while, when their motor skills catch up). Eli has some Baby Signing Time DVDs that we watch together on occasion, and those are good. I have several signing books, and my favorite is probably 'Signing Smart With Babies And Toddlers'.

We also attend My Smart Hands classes, and some Baby Signing Time/My Smart Hands 'Sing, Sign, and Play' groups, and it's pretty amazing to see the older babies communicating with sign. It definitely works, and is proven to help with language skills as well. Signing babies have a much larger spoken vocabulary (in general) than non-signing babies. Studies also showed that children who were signed to had IQs an average of 12 points higher than non-signing babies.

I figure it doesn't hurt to give it a shot... We are working on change diaper, milk, more, dog, and a few others at the moment. Time will tell if it works for us...

wonderboy, born 08/10/10; healthy & amazing. 
    runaway bunny, born and died full term 02/17/14.
    bfp #3 10/03/14 (first attempt following perinatal loss); labeled nonviable 10/25/14
    bfp #4 11/28/14 (first attempt following miscarriage); betas look good 12/04/14; high risk "100% happy" with ultrasound & heartbeart 12/29/14.

"I am half agony, half hope." [jane austen] 
  • Options

PS I haven't been on since the baby was born and can't remember how to update my tickers, lol. Eli is 5 1/2 months old now...

wonderboy, born 08/10/10; healthy & amazing. 
    runaway bunny, born and died full term 02/17/14.
    bfp #3 10/03/14 (first attempt following perinatal loss); labeled nonviable 10/25/14
    bfp #4 11/28/14 (first attempt following miscarriage); betas look good 12/04/14; high risk "100% happy" with ultrasound & heartbeart 12/29/14.

"I am half agony, half hope." [jane austen] 
  • Options
    We're taking a Wee Hands course at the local crunchy granola parenting store. There's a decent dictionary with videos of basic signs on their site (https://www.weehands.com/dictionary.htm). He's too young to tell if signing will "work," but he really enjoys the songs and watching me fingerspell words.  
  • Options
    Our babysitter taught DD.  She loved it and when she was in first grade they had a deaf girl in her class.  DD was so excited she knew some stuff to be able to talk to her, plus the class learned stuff together.  Every week or so they were learning a new song that went along with the stories they were reading and they also learned to sign the songs. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

imagemainerocks:
    I want to do this but he is at day care all day. Will he be able to pick it up still if it's just me doing it nights and weekends?

He should be able to - just might take a little longer.  You might also mention it to the DCP so they can do it also if they want (it'll make caring for your DS easier in the future, so they have a vested interest in it as well)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"