Special Needs

Anyone inspired to change careers due to their LO's special need?

My son has been diagnosed with dyspraxia / childhood apraxia of speech.  He is 2 and 1/2 and I have been a stay at home mome since he was about a year old.  I was in corporate account management, but was finally laid-off in the recession.  Even before my son was born, I thought about going back to school to get my master's in education.  I wanted to get out of the corporate world, and wanted to do something that really made a difference to my community.  Since my son has started receiving EI, I have been considering getting my masters in special education or speech pathology.  I have found a passion for it, and think that is something I would be good at, and would still be able to work around my son's schedule.

Some concerns:  A part of me wonders if having a child with a special need is enough - will working in the field too just be too much?  Do you think that having a personal connection to special needs will help me understand my clients, or bring too much baggage to the table / keep me from being objective?  Will it take away too much time from my child?  Will I be able to see my child for who he is if I develop clinical knowledge of his condition?

I would love to help other children who have special needs, but there are days when I am frustrated / saddened by having to travel this journey, and am anxious to step out of the special needs world as soon as I am able.

Anyone found their child's special need led them to a new career path?

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Anyone inspired to change careers due to their LO's special need?

• I considered possibly working with special needs kids briefly during the first year of DD's ASD dx, (I have a masters in education)... I quickly realized, though, that I didn't want my own life and professional life to be so intertwined...

ETA: I have thought about maybe a role as a social worker working with parents of special needs children... I worked with a woman (LICSW) when DD was initially diagnosed, and she was a wealth of information, insight and support. I def. think having a special needs child would be an asset in a role like that. 

A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost. ~Marion C. Garrett
    image7_0002 A ~ 2.7.06 S ~ 9.2.07
  • Yes, DS's condition led me to a new career, but unlike you, I went from a 'helping' profession to a business one. I quit not long after the diagnosis because I didn't have enough energy to support others through their issues. I just had no desire to put myself out there like that anymore because I didn't think it would be ideal for the clients or for my family. I'm working part time for a web designer now (we can't have DS in child care yet so I haven't really focused on a new career).

But kudos to you for considering going into a field where you'll work with special needs. I think as long as you're aware of what your situation brings to the table then you can keep your own baggage in check. For teacher/therapists, etc you usually get trained on how to do that and how to practice self-care so that you're present for students/clients but can leave work at work.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I swear we are the same person!

My DH and I own a business which we are hoping to be in a position to sell in 5 or so years.  I have gone back to school to begin getting some designations in social work.  I will be in my mid forties when I finish/we sell the business and I want to be able to be employable in services for children and families in need.  So, having navigated some of the programs and services has inspired me some: yes, but going directly to speech therapy (as my son has a speech delay) specifically is not something I am looking to get into.

I just know that I want to make more of a difference now.  Money is just not a motivating factor anymore.  But, I think for me that has come with being a parent, not just a parent with a child who has a speech delay.

Also: you have a PM.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • I am a licensed social worker (well I was before I became a SAHM) and I used to work with children and teens in a family based setting doing cognitive behavioral therapy and group therapies. I think after my experiences with Nicholas if I ever go back to work (which will probably not be until we are done having kids and all our kids are in school full time) I will stay within social work but do something as a support service for parents of SN kids.

I had a few social work friends who worked for our counties MRDD (Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities) board and really enjoyed the work they did. Heck, I've even discussed with our pediatrician about the need of support services for parents within his own practice. How much of the education and support SN parents get is from their peers who have already been there done that or were in it right along side them. Imagine being able to pair that with someone who has professional expertise in support services! I would like to think that someday I could be a big support and advocate for other parents who are where I am at right now!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Interestingly enough my child's health issue (VUR) made me just want to help other children but not specifically with her condition (since it would require a medical degree).  After I had her I decided I wanted to go back to school to become a SLP- at that point I had no idea how her speech would be but I knew I wanted to work with children (which is something I never had considered before as I'd worked in the legal environment most of my career).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"