Toddlers: 24 Months+

HELP! Gave DD too much Ibuprofen

Apparently - based on her weight - I was supposed to give her only 2 droppers (2.5 ml) of the infant drops.

Instead I gave her one teaspoon (5ml).

I got confused between the concentrated infant drops and the children's liquid.

What should I do?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: HELP! Gave DD too much Ibuprofen

• Since I absolutely have no medical background / training at all, I would probably call the pedi or poison control  800-962-1253.

EDIT:  The national poison control number is 800-222-1222.  A magnet I have says another number is the one I wrote above.  Maybe it's just a NJ number.   

• She likely will be fine, maybe just a little stomach upset.  Please put the following number into your cell NOW:  1.800.222.1222.  It is the National Poison Control number.  It never hurts to call but can kill if you dont. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Same thing happened to us when DD was 1. I called the pedi, but she assured me DD would be fine. She really was. She just told me to go to ER if I noticed any crazy weird symptoms. I'm sure you LO will be fine.
    Andrea 7/9/08, Joaquin 4/18/11, boy coming 12/18/13 Forever missed: Gabriel 11/24/09 at 20 weeks
  • Yep, call Poison Control. She'll probably be just fine, as it generally takes a LOT of Advil to produce harmful effects, but she is young, and their bodies are more sensitive to meds. And then put the poison control # in your phone so you always have it. Good luck!
  • Call poison control for your own sanity, but we did the same thing.  I gave DS ibprofen, DH didn't realize it and gave him another full dosage like 30 min later.  Poison control said it was fine.  As long as she hasn't had over the daily recommended dosage in a 24 hour period, there's no risk.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Call, for sure, but do NOT panic.  I actually had a doctor tell me the children's dosage amounts are much lower than what their body can actually handle.  Kind of a 'COA' thing.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Just got off the phone with Poison Control. They said she would be fine and that I should just skip the next dose and wait until morning to give her more. Thanks ladies!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I've also had to call poison control, my oldest got the cap off the infant motrin twice and started drinking it!  They told me that even if he drank every drop they wouldn't recommend the ER unless I noticed something wrong.  That made me feel a lot better about a smaller overdose.
  • imagejsugrin:
    I've also had to call poison control, my oldest got the cap off the infant motrin twice and started drinking it!  They told me that even if he drank every drop they wouldn't recommend the ER unless I noticed something wrong.  That made me feel a lot better about a smaller overdose.

Now THAT I am surprised by! I would think if a child drank any entire bottle of motrin, it would be super hard on their kidneys, but I could be wrong!

OP: I'm glad you called poisen control, that was exactly what I would do! I'm glad your dd is ok.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"