Baby Names
Options

Does Clay have to be Clayton?

We are considering Clay for a boy's name, however, does it necessarily have to be short for Clayton? I do not like Clayton, but would Clay be perceived as a nickname?

I prefer one syllable names because we have a long and hard to spell last name. 

BFP 7/31/10 m/c 8/16/10
BFP 10/25/10 Brynn Helen born 7/7/11
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Does Clay have to be Clayton?

• Options
    No, it doesn't IMO. I think they're totally separate names with Clay being more of a reference to the soil and Clayton being a surname/town name.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options

No.

I'm Mandie.  Not Amanda, Mandie.  It's not an issue and I've never felt like I needed a "full name" for any purpose.  Mandie is my full name. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think Clay can just be Clay.

To me, there's two classes of middle names: those that are generally short for a specific name, and those that can be short for something, but also have a following as a stand-alone name.

In the first category, we have Bob, Dave, Steve, Liz, Em, Matt, etc. Though you can name your kid Steve if you like, people will often wonder what it's short for, or why you didn't go with the full name.

Then you have Jack, Max, Toby, Molly, Bella, Clay. Sure, Bella can be short for Isabella and Max for Maxwell--but they also work by themselves. In these cases, if you strongly perfer the shorter version, I think it's generally okay to use it.

• Options
    Nope! I have 2 cousins just named Clay. My one aunt named her son Clay and my other aunt (her sister) loved it so much she named her son Clay too. There is about 15 years age difference between the two, so it's not that weird, but it does get confusing sometimes! 
    E 03.10
    H 11.11
    C 08.13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My brother is a Clay, actually a Clayton, but I am pretty sure only my mother remembers that is his actual name.  No one has ever called him anything other than Clay since he was born
  • Options
    I think Clay is absolutely fine by itself. In fact, it never would have crossed my mind as it being just a nickname.

• Options
    I think Clay can stand alone!
  • Options
    No, it doesn't. I know a guy whose name is just Clay. No problem. :)
    image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • Options
    Nope - I have a friend named Clay, named after his dad, also a Clay. Just Clay, not Clayton.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think Clay stands on its own just fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"