Preemies

Anyone else on an every 3 hour feeding schedule?

DS was born at 34w 3d, spent 10 days in the NICU and has been home for 3 weeks now. He was fed every 3 hrs in the NICU and the pedi has told us to keep him on this schedule and keep increasing the amount as he lets us know he wants more (he left the NICU taking an ounce and a half at every feeding and is up to almost 3oz now!) 

So my question... was anyone else on this every 3 hour feeding schedule and when were you allowed to just let LO let you know when they are ready to eat? We go back to the pedi on Monday and I'm wondering if he'll bring it up. I will ask if he doesn't. Just wondering what everyone's experience was.

Re: Anyone else on an every 3 hour feeding schedule?

• we are on the ever 3hr schedule (dd was born at 27weeks) and we were told when we discharged that she needs to stay on the 3hr schedule for a while
    Thing 1 = April 2008, 38weeks 8lbs 7oz 19in
    Thing 2 = May 2009, Stillborn 33weeks 4lbs 9oz 18in
    Thing 3 = October 2010, 27weeks 4days 2lbs 4oz 14.25in

• my 32 weeker was on a 3 hour schedule while in the NICU, but as soon as she was discharged, I was told she could nurse as often as she wanted, but not to let her go more than 3-4 hours.
    Mom to 2 beautiful girls, 3 yrs and 22 months old. My 2nd was born at 32 weeks due to Rhogam failure/severe complications from Rh disease and is our miracle. She has bilateral auditory neuropathy and a cochlear implant, activated 4/5/2012 at 19 months. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DD born at 34wks, was on 3hr schedule in the NICU and for a while after, except at night. We had weight gain issues and pedi wanted to keep schedule to make sure she was getting enough. We dropped one overnight,at about 1mth old) because she would just go to sleep or spit most of it back up.

• We were on the 3 hour schedule until just last week.  We went in for a weight check and she was up to 10 pounds, so we dropped her down from 24 cal. formula to 22 cal. and started feeding on demand.  The pedi told us we could feed her as often as every 2 hours or as little as every 5.  She is up to 3.25 ounces, drinking 7 bottles a day versus 8.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • The Pedi suggested that I keep the 3hr schedule, but if he wanted to eat sonner or a bit later, it was fine. Rigth now I'm feeding him every time he wants, either at 3 hrs or whenever he wants. He is getting pretty heavy, today its his 2 month app. So we'll see how much he's grown, he does fit in 3month clothing now yay! he has left behind all his nb clothes, which also means, shopping this saturday with daddy!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Wow, I feel like my lil man is a chunk! He was born at 34 weeks, 1 day and weighed five pounds. He's 6 weeks old now, but at his one month check up the doctor told me I can let him go every 5 hours if he likes. However, he usually eats between 3-4 hours and eats between 4-5 ounces every feeding. It was great to see that on his due date day he weighed 7 1/2 pounds.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Natural MC - 4/18/10 (9 weeks)
    DS was born six weeks early on December 2010!
    Natural MC - 11/21/11 (7 weeks)
    DS born full term on October 2012!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"