D.C. Area Babies

Hospital bag - refresh my memory

According to my weekly email updates I am now 35 weeks pregnant so I should probably get moving on getting ready :)  We've been so busy doing house projects that we keep putting baby stuff aside but now I'm starting to panic a bit.  We had a hospital bag when DD was born but we packed way too much stuff.  Any advice?  We don't have a birth plan or anything so I don't need an ipod and I'm hoping to not be in the hospital for long, as long as I don't have a c-section of course. 

Also - is it possible to labor and deliver wearing a nursing tank instead of a hospital gown?  My chest is crazy big right now and the thought of possibly being braless seems so uncomfortable.  I would love to wear an old tank that I could just toss...  not sure if I should bring it up with my doctor or if that's a hospital policy?  Totally random question I know :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hospital bag - refresh my memory

• the musts are cell phones, chargers, cameras, memory cards, chargers, baby's outfit(s), lanolin, nursing bras/tanks, car seat

I can't believe you are 35/35 already! good luck!!

• I had to wear a hospital gown, but I wore an ancient sports bra underneath it.  A couple of nurses gave me some "its our policy..." crap at first, but I assured them that I had no problems if they needed to cut it off in an emergency and I was ok that it might take three extra seconds to do this.

In addition to Sofka's list I had yoga pants, my own pillow, my BF pillow (didn't use), slippers, a robe, clothes to wear home, snacks and clothes for DH, toiletry stuff, book to read (I actually did read a bit during labor), folder for paperwork stuff.

Stuff people told me about that I didn't pack - thank you notes, journal, ink and paper for baby footprints, movies, sudoku, cards.

• Loading the player...
  • 2 things I wish I had - our own bath towels and a hair dryer! 
    A Tale of Infant Cataracts eyelovejack.blogspot.com
  • 35 weeks! almost done!!

you should be able to wear whatever you want, so long as body parts necessary for whatever procedures you have done are accessible. i don't see a tank getting in the way of anything. unless you are planning to have an epi, i can't remember exactly where in my back that was placed. but even then, you can just remove the tank during the placement.

bag stuff: comfy clothes (socks, yoga pants, nursing bra, robe or warm sweater, nursing pjs), toothbrush, book, hair supplies, camera (don't forget to clear memory), camera charger, cell phone and charger, bathroom products (soap, face & body lotion, etc), bottle of salt (for use in a postpartum warm water peri-rinse), massage oil (for labor), clothes/blankets for LO, camcorder, notepad and pen (for journaling during/after labor), snacks (i had yogurt smoothies, oatmeal, miso soup, coconut water)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks ladies - keep them coming!  I'm reading stuff aloud to DH and we're both saying "oh yeah, I remember bringing that" haha you think I had DD 10 years ago not 2.5!

I think part of the reason I don't remember much is that I went from 4cm-10cm in just a couple of hours so that is a blur.  I got there around 10pm, delivered DD at 4am (pushed for 4 hours, ugh!), and we were discharged by lunchtime the next day.  

I definitely need to stock up on nursing stuff - I have tanks, bras, etc. but no cream or nursing pads.  I'll ask my doctor about the tank.  I did get an epi last time so I'm pretty sure I'll get it again.  Although last time I didn't get it until 10cm so maybe if that happens again and I'm able to push through it I won't have to.  I've got a decent stash of toiletries and I'll stock up on snacks too, good thing there is an awesome Wegmans nearby for DH and my parents/inlaws to get me food! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't read the other responses but here are the things I used most:

Crocs

Robe

Hair ties

Computer with charger

Cell with charger

Camera with charger

Water bottle

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree with everything above...though I wish I had my boppy (if you plan to BF)  I struggled with getting the pillows in a comfortable position.  It will be in my bag next time.  

And as for the bra - I had one on and I remember the nurse making me take it off.  It was a huge PIA cause she had to disconnect the IV and it was a huge mess.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • for #2, I brought my pump and kept it in the car; I didn't end up needing it but it was nice to know it was just down in the parking lot!

deciding to pack it also got me moving on boiling/sterilizing all the pump parts as well as nipples, bottles, etc I was re-using from #1

with both kids, I ended up needing to pump and give a bottle much much sooner than I had planned

• we way overpacked but i'd rather be overprepared than under. the only thing i brought that i'd leave home if we have a #2 is clothes/pjs for my stay.

things i used: robe, slippers, going home clothes for me and baby,lanolin, toiletries, laptop/camera, pillow, blanket

things i took but never used (probably might have if labor had progressed slower): books, magazines, ipod, comfy pjs and clothes for the hospital, nursing tanks, snacks for DH

things i wish i'd had: hairdryer, my own towels

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • To answer your second question, I wore a sports bra throughout labor and delivery and no one had any problem with it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"