Special Needs
Options

Auntie

Thank you for the information...you are a wealth of information...not sure where this board would be without you. 

I am just trying to connect my daughter with all of the resources I can...and like you mentioned...in North Dakota there are not many...the closest pediatric neuropsych is 75 miles...and for a developmental pediatrician we are probably looking at Sioux Falls, SD or Minneapolis, MN (4 hour drive)...but am willing to take trips if needed...Our state's infant development program is good/decent, we have an a representative-generally an OT come once a month to touch base...the daycare that she is in has her SLP, OT, and PT at it, which is nice as they are able to cross some of the general applications of therapy into the classroom.  This is the best daycare/facility/etc we can have her in, in our area...they provide therapy to a variety of special needs kids....I would like to work less and work with her more...but...not sure that is best....we will probably transition into the school special needs program at age 3, along with keeping her at her current center.   

I am one of those people that wants a diagnosis, or to know what is going on...call it the academic in me (I work at a local University)...I am happy to have the SPD "diagnosis", as it is allowing us to have a better understanding of what is going on with her, along with teaching her adaptive strategiest (weighted blanket, lap pad, etc).  I know that this is such a critcal developmental age that I want to do all I/we can do now...
I think the inconsistency in her SPD behavior is somewhat concerning (one day she will like hanging upside down or swinging...and an hour later, day later, or week later...hate it...)  Generally she is sensory seeking...

She has difficulty concentrating on any task for more than a few seconds (therapists say she should be able to focus at a 1 minute/year of age and she is no where near that)...she has a number of developmental delays (most functions around 12-14 months, and she is nearly 21 months), right now her greatest weakness is her speech, we have about 5 words/signs.  Poor coordination, lack of empathy, academy award winning meltdowns/tantrums, arm flapping.  Her home, school, KinderMusik, and gymnastics behaviors are quite consistent...

I may look into seeing where the closest, most qualified dev. pedi might be...

Thank you for your thoughts, facts, advice, etc. it really is greatly appreciated...

any other good references, souces, etc? 

any other additional thoughts, comments, etc.? 

THANK YOU AGAIN.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"