Natural Birth

s/o Hearing Test, Question

Do you think I could Postpone* the hearing test and other until the following day, without problems with hospital staff?

I know there are exemptions, but I also understand the importance of these screenings...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: s/o Hearing Test, Question

• We had to postpone my DS's by a day, since he was fully awake and BFing at the time they came around to do it. It was not a big deal at all.
  • imageCaseBride:
    We had to postpone my DS's by a day, since he was fully awake and BFing at the time they came around to do it. It was not a big deal at all.

Good to hear, my concern is that they will whisk away my baby before we can hang a bit.  I will talk to my OB ab hospital standard procedures.... 

• Loading the player...
  • They did it the night after they were born at my hospital I have no idea why you could be worried about not having time to hang they do it at night whent he babies and the moms are asleep in most places....

Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• imagejohnsonia:

imageCaseBride:
    We had to postpone my DS's by a day, since he was fully awake and BFing at the time they came around to do it. It was not a big deal at all.

Good to hear, my concern is that they will whisk away my baby before we can hang a bit.  I will talk to my OB ab hospital standard procedures.... 

They shouldn't need to take your baby away. He was sleeping in my arms when they did the one for DS.

• imageBlackvelvet:

They did it the night after they were born at my hospital I have no idea why you could be worried about not having time to hang they do it at night whent he babies and the moms are asleep in most places....

They usually wait until the babies are about 12-24 hours old, and they are usually done when the baby returns to the nursery. It's not done right away to allow for babies to get into that sleepy newborn state. I've never worked in a hospital that took a baby right away for this test. :)

High-risk L&D nurse...If in doubt, go to triage!

Trevor Calvin 12.10.07 7:26pm 7lbs2.5oz 19.75in

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Emerson Claire 07.07.11 11:34am 7lbs7oz 20.5 in

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Our hospital wanted to do it early on (but not immediately, it was a few hours after she was born) because we were only going to be there for 24 hours and they wanted to be sure they had time to retest if she failed the first time. Otherwise I would have to make a special trip back to the hospital to have the retest.
  • It sounds like different hospitals have different procedures, so it would probably be best to ask what your hospital does and go from there.

We were only at the hospital for just over 24hrs with DS and had him room in with us.  We all (me, DS, DH) went to the nursery for his hearing test and I think DH held him for it.  DS was born around 1pm and the test was later that evening, so he was probably around 5-6 hrs old. 

• Ditto to this will vary by hospital. LO's hearing test was done the next day in our room. He never went to the nursery or anywhere away from us.

Things like eye prophylaxis and Vitamin K are the things that our hospital typically does at birth. They were supportive of delaying those until after bonding, but LO was born in distress so he had to go to the incubator/table thing right away. DH stayed at the table with him (15 feet from my bed) and consented to them doing those things then rather than waiting since they already had him there and I was delivering the placenta and hemorrhaging and then getting stitched. I got him in my arms as soon as he was stabilized, <10 min from birth. He was never away from DH and I just a few feet from me. He was very, very alert which was wonderful.

• DS was born at a birth center and we took him to have his hearing test at the local hospital when he was 8 days old.  So I would think one day would be ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"