Special Needs
Options

Any LO's with nerve damage/ stroke?

My DD was recently diagnosed with peripheral nerve damaged caused during birth or from a mini stroke.  Any other moms out there whose LOs have been diagnosed with this?  I'd like to know about your experiences, good or bad.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around it all.

Thanks!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Any LO's with nerve damage/ stroke?

• Options

Peyton had a stroke in-utero at 22 weeks when I hemorrhaged due to a partial placental abruption.  

We didn't know anything was really wrong/off until just before 2 months.  She had bad torticollis, and was also not moving her right side at all.  She wouldn't track with her right eye, and her right ankle was inverted.  It looked like a club foot, but was not locked.  We got into PT for the torticollis, and saw a pedi ortho between 4-5 months.  He suggested we see neuro due to her non ortho issues, and that she may have CP.  

So we did and her final diagnosis was mild cp due to in-utero stroke from lack of blood/oxygen to the brain.  

Now onto the good stuff.  While she does have issues (seems like new ones everyday sometime) you can't look at her and tell anything is wrong.

She falls, ALOT.  If she is tired, she falls even more.  But she walks, she walked at 10 1/2 months on the day.  Her goal was 15 months, but initially they weren't sure she would ever walk.

Is your LO getting early intervention services or outpatient PT.  I credit our success with the fact that P started therapy at 2months which is a great age to be able to mold/shape the brain and cover up bad areas with new growth.  

I would just say to make sure you have her vision checked by a pedi eye dr. as that's one thing we did at 6 months and it was OK and then at 14 months it appears she will need glasses.  

If you have any other Q's you can email me at realisticdreams @ hotmail dot com.

I don't focus much on the stroke aspect, but more her CP because the CP is the ending result from the stroke.  

With lots of PT she now moves both sides of her body equally, she favors her left though, and writes with her left, and usually transfers things from her right to her left.  

GL 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options

welcome to the board! 

My son Jack also had an in-utero stroke (suspected to right before/during birth) and as a result stopped breathing at birth so had lack of oxygen/seizures/etc and underwent 72 hours on a cooling mat in the NICU to induce hypothermia right after birth. 

He's also received therapy since a week old (PT/OT) and is now 16 months...if you looked at him you'd never know he had any issue, but his stroke was LH so his right-side is a bit weaker (lower tone but has continuously improved).  He crawled for the first time on his first birthday :) and is not walking yet but is pulling up to stand/cruising pretty well.

When he was 6 months we had his eyes checked and he was extremely far-sighted but that self-corrected by the time he was 1 so no glasses for now. He did have swallow weakness and underwent electrode therapy 3x/week from 7-12 months, which helped him get off thickened liquids. He has no eating issues currently (uses sippy cup and finger feeds table food). Jack wore thumb splints from about 5-10 months which helped his hands open up, he was always fisted before that. That helped significantly with his fine motor.

He definitely has a left-handed preference but can use his right, it's just a lot harder for him. Very slight left-foot preference also (leads with his left leg). 

He's got developmental delays in every area (expressive lang, receptive lang, fine/gross motor and cognition) and does not have any words yet but he babbles tons of sounds. None of his delays are severe and he's the happiest little guy and overall doing really well!

Sorry this got so long - feel free to email me if you have any questions - paula dot wedding at gmail dot com.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you two for sharing your stories, they are encouraging!  I'm so ready to get PT going and to watch her improve.  I wish we could have caught it sooner, but her symptoms really didn't show until she became more active.  Hope it's not too late.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"