February 2011 Moms

SAHM - do I need a pump?

Two-part question: First, I'm planning on not working for the next six months, do you gals think I need to invest in a pump?

Second: would you use your best friend's pump motor if the rest of the parts (tubing, bottles, breast shields, etc) were all in a brand new replacement set?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: SAHM - do I need a pump?

• I would definitely recommend a pump for a couple of reasons.  You may have to pump a little bit at first if breastfeeding does not immediately take and you will want to pump to introduce bottles around 3-4 weeks.

I think using the motor would be fine if the rest of the stuff was new!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Yes on both and here's why. I ended up with an awesome pump given to me by a friend (bought new parts) for free...before that I really hadn't planned on getting one. The first week we brought our daughter home I was having trouble nursing b/c I was so engorged she couldn't latch firmly. The pediatrician had me nurse or pump every 90 mins (it was torture) for 48 hours. The results were magical. I plan to do the same again if my boobs are too hard again. Pumping softened them enough for the baby to latch and in the meantime helped to stimulate milk production. I had so much milk from then on, it was crazy. I then really only used the pump here and there to have milk for bottles for sitters and later for cereal. But I'm really glad I had the pump after all. I EBF'ed for 12 months and probably used the pump til about 6 or 8 months (again sporadically, when I needed someone else to feed her).
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemtnbride1:

I would definitely recommend a pump for a couple of reasons.  You may have to pump a little bit at first if breastfeeding does not immediately take and you will want to pump to introduce bottles around 3-4 weeks.

I think using the motor would be fine if the rest of the stuff was new!

Stole the words right outta my mouth!

• First, yes. I'm a SAHM and my Medela PIS was invaluable for me. I used to pump at 7pm every night with either of my kids, and having a good supply of frozen EBM was necessary. There were times I'd go on a date with DH and miss a feeding, and the sitter was able to use the BM for bottles, baby rice/oatmeal, etc.

Second, yes. If I knew the person giving me a pump and knew their medical history (No HIV/AIDs/Hep A, B, or C, etc) I would definitely borrow.

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • I would definitely pump...it frees you up to have dates with the hubby like Tiffany said, but also it allows your man to be involved in the feedings.  Breast feeding is so special in that it gives mom that time to bond with her baby, but I think it's important for dad to have some of that time too.  I would have no problem using that pump...if the parts are clean (which it sounds like they are) it is no different from using the ones they will lend out at the hospital :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Everything Tiffany said, except I have a Lansinoh.  You don't want to be literally tied to your baby, no matter how much you love him/her!

Mom to a beautiful boy and girl!
  • absolutely yes.  You want to allow yourself freedom to leave for more than an hour or two at a time without worrying about 'starving' the baby b/c you are not home.  And also- if you plan to pump in 6 months, if you don't pump until then you may have a huge issue and not be able to pump at all.

I was great about pumping for a freezer stock like Tiffany said.  Then I got lazy, and when my son was around 6mos old we were going to leave him with my parents overnight for the first time.  Well by that point my supply was so established and it had been so long since I pumped (since he was eating less often I could get out without leaving abottle) that my body would not give more than an ounce in 20 minutes.  It took me a week of pumping for 25 minutes 3 times a day just to eek out enough to leave him overnight with my parents.   

EDD with #4  01-20-14
    Proud mama to a boys-  6/17/09 - a girl 2/23/11- and a boy 8/20/12

• ALL great advice!! Pump, pump, pump, got it! Thanks so much everyone!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • IMO yes you do need one. LO will not eat that much in one sitting and even if you do half the feeding on one side and the other half on the other breast, its still not enough. You will probably still get engorged and you will need to do something with the milk and you don;t want to dump it out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTiffanyTheMom:

First, yes. I'm a SAHM and my Medela PIS was invaluable for me. I used to pump at 7pm every night with either of my kids, and having a good supply of frozen EBM was necessary. There were times I'd go on a date with DH and miss a feeding, and the sitter was able to use the BM for bottles, baby rice/oatmeal, etc.

Second, yes. If I knew the person giving me a pump and knew their medical history (No HIV/AIDs/Hep A, B, or C, etc) I would definitely borrow.

This exactly! I am a SAHM for at least 6 months after baby comes and I know I want my BF to be able to feed him at times too.

Happy mommy to a sweet baby boy! CafeMom Tickers
  • Yes, I would get a pump- you may want to leave the baby at some point in the six months! 

Yes to the borrowing- I would make sure also that she never had any breast infections. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"