Blended Families

s/o off gift issue

2 year old DD has emphatically told 10 year old SS that she wants him to get her an orange hat, gloves, and scarf for her birthday.  This is the only thing she claims to want from anyone so SS is very excited to be the one who is going to "make her the happiest" (his words) on her birthday.  I asked him if he wanted to go shopping with me this weekend to get the gift (never mind the fact that I have no idea where to get orange hat etc.) and he told me that since I helped him get and make Christmas gift for his mom, he wants her to get it for his sister.  I said that it might be difficult to find and that I was happy to do it.  But he insists that he wants his mom to do it and that she's "all over it." (his words again -- I think meaning they've spoken about it and she's agreed).  Now BM never helps SS pick out gifts for anyone on this side of his family and I think it is okay.  (I don't think it is her responsibility or anything but I know it would make SS feel better if she did.)  And if the orange stuff doesn't happen, DD will be just fine.  But every visit and every phone conversation between DD and SS, they discuss this great plan of his mom getting the gift.  I think SS would be very disappointed if he can't give it to her.  Do I (a) leave it alone, (b) email BM about it saying I know it isn't her responsibility but just want to know her plans so that I can get it if she can't/doesn't want to, or (c) have a backup alternate gift ready just in case?    I know, this isn't a serious life issue or anything but advice is appreciated.   

Re: s/o off gift issue

• Honestly, I would get a backup hat/gloves/scarf.  I would google them or buy them on amazon, find a matching set and order it.  Then, if BM drops the ball, you have an option for him.  If she comes through for him, you can just return them and no one will be the wiser.

I am always willing to go the extra mile at this point for my bonus kids because they are under age.  The oldest is 14 and I remember that feeling of being stuck -- can't drive, no bus system, no credit card.  So when she asks, I always help her get the things (and then she pays me back). 

• Personally, I'd do a combo of B and C. Just in case ya know? That's just me.

Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • Loading the player...
  • imageDaringMiss:

Honestly, I would get a backup hat/gloves/scarf.  I would google them or buy them on amazon, find a matching set and order it.  Then, if BM drops the ball, you have an option for him.  If she comes through for him, you can just return them and no one will be the wiser.

Exactly what I would do.

• imageDaringMiss:

Honestly, I would get a backup hat/gloves/scarf.  I would google them or buy them on amazon, find a matching set and order it.  Then, if BM drops the ball, you have an option for him.  If she comes through for him, you can just return them and no one will be the wiser.

Exactly what I would do.

• b&c.  I would talk to BM about it but have it just in case, she might say she will do it and not find it or just not get around to it.  And not sure what you want to spend or when the birthday is but you can get it on Etsy and usually people can ship within a few days.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • I'd go with C, and just hold onto the receipts in hopes that BM pulls through.

I think it is incredible adorable that your SS is so excited about doing this for his sister :)

• Thanks guys.  I think I'll go with c because I think an email might be misinterpreted as me asking for a gift. Etsy is a great idea!  Didn't think of that.
  • Why the AE??
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just have two accounts because was having trouble logging in one day.  I didn't realize that my home computer was logged into a different account than work. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"