Babies on the Brain

D&C/insurance question

Does anyone know if D&Cs are typically covered under medical insurance or is it seen as an elective procedure?

I'm really struggling with which option to take. The idea of having one done scares me. She said she would give me a percocet (NOT going to work, ask my dentist...) and then "numb me really well." Where are they numbing me? My ute? How do they go about doing that?

I will obviously ask questions tomorrow at my u/s. These ones have been weighing on my mind.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: D&C/insurance question

• I would assume that it would be covered for your purposes but if you are worried I would call and double check. 

Now, I know this next part is unsolicited advice, but this is something that I deal with every day.  If it were me, I would take the cytotec and try and avoid the D&C if I can.  Usually people who have the D&C just don't want to deal with the emotional toll of bleeding and if that is how you feel I totally understand, but other than that, I would try and avoid surgery.

• imageLambie.:

I would assume that it would be covered for your purposes but if you are worried I would call and double check. 

Now, I know this next part is unsolicited advice, but this is something that I deal with every day.  If it were me, I would take the cytotec and try and avoid the D&C if I can.  Usually people who have the D&C just don't want to deal with the emotional toll of bleeding and if that is how you feel I totally understand, but other than that, I would try and avoid surgery.

No, I appreciate the advice. I've been going through the emotions for the last several weeks, so bleeding isn't anything that's going to be a problem for me to deal with.  I've had two m/c's before, so I'm actually more comfortable with the idea of dealing with it on my own in the comfort of my home, even if it takes a little longer.  I work from home, and my boss has already given me as much time as I need.

That said, I've never taken the medication to cause me to miscarry, so I'm worried about that, too. I wish my body would just figure this shiit out on its own!

• Loading the player...
  • I had one done in October and I had to pay 20% of it. The percocet helped a lot, but I was in a lot of pain due to my tube being removed too.  Recovery time wasn't too bad though. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    PCOS, Ectopic & M/C of twins October 2010, Currently TTC #2
  • I think it depends on the insurance.  My best friend had to pay 100% when she had a m/c.   
  • I've had three, and they were all covered. Two were for loss and one was for an HSN to check for issues in my uterus.

I'm curious, they would leave you awake for this? I was under twilight general for all three, and thus was assured to have no memory of the proceedure. I don't know if I would have done it if I had been awake, but that was never presented as an option.

I will say, in terms of physical recovery, I was glad I went with the d&c. It's not a long process, I was a little sore for the rest of the day, had minimal bleeding over the next few, and then felt okay. I was just glad to have the miscarriage part over, so I could get to the emotional healing.

I am so sorry you are dealing with all this.

• I think what you have to pay would depend on your insurance and if you've met deductibles, OOP max, etc. I'm so sorry you even have to think about this.
    TTC with severe MFI since 9/08 IVF w/ ICSI #1 May/June 2010= BFP twins
    Callan George and Bennett Charles born and died 11/7/10
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    FET #1 April 2011= BFN
    FET #2 July 2011= no transfer because my lining sucked
    FET #3 February 2012= BFP! 1st beta 9dp5dt=314 2nd beta 11dp5dt=977 1st U/S 3/20 Twins- Heart rates of 111 and 138 Pregnancy Ticker
    Living After Losing
  • imageambrandau2:

I've had three, and they were all covered. Two were for loss and one was for an HSN to check for issues in my uterus.

I'm curious, they would leave you awake for this? I was under twilight general for all three, and thus was assured to have no memory of the proceedure. I don't know if I would have done it if I had been awake, but that was never presented as an option.

I will say, in terms of physical recovery, I was glad I went with the d&c. It's not a long process, I was a little sore for the rest of the day, had minimal bleeding over the next few, and then felt okay. I was just glad to have the miscarriage part over, so I could get to the emotional healing.

I flat out asked her if I would be put under, and she told me I would be given percocet and she would numb me, and it was done in their office (not the hospital). She made it out to be a quick and simple process and not requiring of general. I would MUCH prefer to be put under and I think that's part of why I am so hesitant with this option.

The idea of not going through heavy bleeding and contractions for days does sound appealing, but in the past my doctor has always given me some good painkillers that usually make me sleep the whole time and not feel too much of what's happening.

Sigh. This blows no matter how you look at it.

• imageambrandau2:

I've had three, and they were all covered. Two were for loss and one was for an HSN to check for issues in my uterus.

This. I was under general for mine and just took Motrin following. I was given both options but took the D&C because I knew I emotionally couldn't handle passing anything at home then having to wait to make sure everything had passed all with the possibility of still having to have a D&C  anyway if everything didn't pass.. With the D&C I knew  it was over and it was easier for me to move on.

((hugs)) I'm so sorry, Boxer.

• Mine was an emergency D&C since I had lost too much blood. They fully put me out. I had been offered the stuff to make me miscarry but I couldn't bring myself to take it. The recovery was fine bleeding for a week or so and minimal cramping. Im so sorry youre gkinv through this boxer. ((hugs()

Photobucket  Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageboxermama24:
    imageambrandau2:

I flat out asked her if I would be put under, and she told me I would be given percocet and she would numb me, and it was done in their office (not the hospital). She made it out to be a quick and simple process and not requiring of general. I would MUCH prefer to be put under and I think that's part of why I am so hesitant with this option.

The idea of not going through heavy bleeding and contractions for days does sound appealing, but in the past my doctor has always given me some good painkillers that usually make me sleep the whole time and not feel too much of what's happening.

Sigh. This blows no matter how you look at it.

It fvcking blows. I am so sorry.

• Mine were covered by insurance, but I still had to pay a percentage up until I reached my out-of-pocket minimum. 

My OB's office only does them in office with painkillers and numbing up until a certain week.  Since I was further along I had the twilight general in the actual hospital.  I really, really didn't want to remember any of it so I was very glad to be put totally under.

I'm so sorry you have to be thinking about this at all.  ((hugs))

• My D&C (D&E) was under full general anesthesia and covered by insurance.
  • A) this sucks Boxer

B) I used the drugs first. Which were not bad to begin with. I was much further along though and had complications which resulted in an emergency D&C. They put me completely out and Insurance covered except for my deductible.

• I will ask my doctor tomorrow if there's any way for me to have it done under general. I will also check to see if my insurance covers it. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
  • Mine was covered under my insurance.

I'm very glad I went that route instead of letting it pass naturally, even though, I was nearly 12 weeks, so I don't think they wanted me to try letting it just happen.  I was put totally to sleep for it, and I didn't have much pain or cramping at all.  I took the 800mg Ibuprofen, but not any of the Darvocet.

Photobucket Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"