Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Baby only drinking 10-15 oz BM/formula daily

Is this bad?  Ever since we started solids and teething began it is a struggle to get son to take more than 15 oz daily.  He is on 10 oz pumped BM a day and the rest is high calorie preemie formula since i know longer produce enough milk for him.  Should I be concerned?  Should I attempt to get other liquids down him?  He loves to take sips from my water glass, but has not mastered how to drink from sippy yet.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby only drinking 10-15 oz BM/formula daily

• First of all, how old is he?  But....definitely no to the other liquids, though.

The range that babies will drink a day is super big.   For instance, from birth to 2 weeks old babies will drink anywhere from 12 - 30oz. a day (this is from the Saskatchewan Health formula feeding pamphlet).

When Natalie was a baby, she rarely drank over 18 - 20oz a day.    

eta:  10 seems low, but if it's high calorie, maybe that's why.   I'd just talk to your pedi.    With the other liquids, I sip here or there is fine but I would rely on other liquids to fulfill calorie/nutrient intake.   Also, what/how much solids are you feeding baby?

• Are you counting the oz's that you use to make the cereal (if that's how you do it)?  My pedi said that those oz's count as well.  DS barely gets 20, but that's what we shoot for.  I would say 10oz is too low, but 15 is closer to borderline.  Talk to the pedi about it- ours told us to make the cereal slightly soupier to get more oz's in. 

DS goes in phases- some weeks he's all about bottles and others he's not.

• Loading the player...
  • My son is 8.5 months old, but developmentally like a 6 - 7 month old since he was 11 weeks early.  He used to take 21-25 oz a day at his prime, but then he got sick back in November and started taking more like 18-21 oz a day permanently.  Since he got his 2 teeth and is eating half jar of babyfood in morn, half jar at night, and one or two servings of cereal (1/2 oz of BM in that), his appetite for the bottle has declined.
  • imageiristony:
    My son is 8.5 months old, but developmentally like a 6 - 7 month old since he was 11 weeks early.  He used to take 21-25 oz a day at his prime, but then he got sick back in November and started taking more like 18-21 oz a day permanently.  Since he got his 2 teeth and is eating half jar of babyfood in morn, half jar at night, and one or two servings of cereal (1/2 oz of BM in that), his appetite for the bottle has declined.

Ahhh.... I see.  I'd just check with your pedi.   Natalie rarely drank more than 18 oz at that age (she's just didn't care much for the bottle).

• My DS is the same way. Since he started solids and has his sippy cup(Which we give him juice when we can) he only takes a 4oz bottle in the am with his breakfast then 5oz after lunch and 5oz before bed. Though he does have another bottle in the middle of the night Im not to worried since he seems to be a very happy baby and still puts on weight. Maybe its because we give him snacks but idk
  • We have been struggling with the same thing!  Down to 15-18 ounces after weeks of 24 and up.  The last few days, with the pedi's go-ahead, we have given our little one some tylenol an hour before eating a few times a day and she has guzzled down her milk.  The nipple was really hurting her mouth because of the teething.  I have also given her some milk by spoon sometimes if she can't finish the bottle.  Like you, I have a preemie and she is on BM fortified with formula for extra cals.

Good luck!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"