Pre-School and Daycare

Would you put DC in preschool during the summer to be in this program?

My district has a preschool program which runs on a lottery for kids that live in the district..  It is an integrated preschool for kids with special needs, 50%with and 50 without in most classes. There is one class only for kids without special needs and there is no reason behind there placement choices. When I went to visit the school I thought it was AMAZING!  It was excellent and impressive to see the way the teachers, therapists and children had found such harmony. Also because there are so many students receiving services many of the circle times are run by art therapists, music therapists...  It was really great.  I spent around 1.5 there. I loved the diversity of the kids who not only come from our community but from surrounding areas as well (serves kids with special needs in our whole county). The principal spent so much time giving me information, encouraging me to explore the school and watch the classes.  This is  MUCH different from the private school he is at now which ends in June. Parents are expected to help in the classroom 2x a month, which is a lot but definitely something  I can do.

When I met with the principal she told me that she can't guarentee a spot for DS, which I knew but that if he joined the summer program which starts in june and ends at the end of August he would be assured a spot for the school year.  The community kids would all start pre-k together and it is free, which is awesome.  It is mon-fri 8:30 to 11:30.  He currently goes just tues and thurs am for 3 hours,  and would not likely go on to kindie with any of these children he is with now.  

Should I just trust my instincts and enroll him in the summer program that ensures his placement during the school year?  Will I regret having him in school in the summer?  I wonder if the ratio is different in the summer and that is why she was encouraging me to enroll him?  And would it even matter?

Alumni enrollment is starting now at our current school so I need to make a decision soon but I think I am leaning towards the public preschool. 

Re: Would you put DC in preschool during the summer to be in this program?

• It sounds wonderful and if I was looking for a good program, that sounds like it! I say go with how you feel.
  • We have an amazing inclusive program here too, but it is also a lottery and DD did not get in, I was so bummed. I would do anything possible to get my daughter in that school!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, I would definitely do it.  Sounds like a great program, and the price definitely sounds right.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would go for it, it sounds like an amazing  program and I bet they do a lot of fun things in the summer.  My DD's Pre-k runs year round.  The kids that go year round actually pay less per month than the kids that don't attend the summer program (I have not done the math but I think you end up paying about the same at the end).  Most of the kids will go year round but I know there a decent amount of kids who will not be in the summer program - one kids has both parents that are teachers for example and some that have parents who don't work FT or things like that but from what I've been told, most kids attend year round or if they don't, the parents end up sending them to different camps and such over the summer rather than staying in the program.  My DD is going over the summer and can't wait - they do a lot of fun and different things with the kids - they do a bike day each week where they close off the small parking lot and let the kids ride and they go to the local pool and other fun field trips.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"